Tire Pressure | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tire Pressure

I am running 33x12.5 BFG AT/KO on a 15x8 rim. What tire pressure should I run them at on the street. When I got them mounted the guy put 40!! psi in them. I dropped them down to 32 psi and they handle a little nicer. A buddy of mine runs the same setup except he runs 23 psi for street driving. I thought that was a little low. I did the chalk test and I figured that running 25-28 psi is ideal. But isn't that a little low for street driving. Please help!!

We also run BFG AT KO's on 15x8 rims on our 1992.. We run 32 in the front adn 36 in the rear..

the best thing to do.. (do it soon) is the chalk test.. just search for chalk test to find the instructions.. (too much to type again)..

The chalk test will get you to exactly what you need..

For for info..

We run 32front/36 rear on the street
20psi front/24 rear when I'm wheeling but must have the ground clearance..
13psi front/13psi rear when i'm wheeling and need traction more than clearance.. (13 is close to popping a bead if I turn the wheels when I'm not moving, but so far so good.. )..

~Mark

I run mine the same as Maniak, but 32 all around on the street.

Thanks for the info, I already did the chalk test, and I just do not feel comfortable dropping the pressure below 30 psi on the street. I have the ground clearance, the 33's are on my 92 Bronco with 2 1/2 lift. They should really build explorers like they did with broncos, I ran 33 inch tires on my bronco for 1 month without any lift at all and they just rubbed a little.

Back