lubricating bearings, joints, ect... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

lubricating bearings, joints, ect...

method84

Reaction score
City, State
New Haven, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
hey, I purchased a grease gun today and some general purpose lithium grease....I want to start lubricating stuff underneath when im doing an oil change and was wondering if there was any write ups I could follow possibly with pics or if someone can tell me exactly what I should be lubricating and if this lithium grease is the ticket....thanks ahead of time...sorry for the dumb question...im not very good with automobiles :eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You want marina grade wheel bearing grease, synthetic is good too...

Not LITHIUM grease.

Also I hate to burst your bubble but on a stock 93 the only thing you can grease is the steering tie rod ends and where the drag link meets the tie rod.
3 total grease zerks.
All U joints are non greaseable.
the wheel bearings you have to take the wheel and rotor off
the ball joints are also sealed from the factory.

However you have got the right idea, and once you replace all that stuff (U joints, ball joints, etc) yuou can get the greasable style and be like me, I go through a full size tube of grease every two months just on my truck, but I'm a freak and I have 16+ grease zerks under my BII

oh wow...Ive been on a do-it-myself kick lately and fogured this can be one more chore I can do in order to keep my beast healthy...I geuss there not much I can do though...thanks for the feedback...I looked underneath about 5 minutes ago and noticed that the front bar (I think its the tie rod) is all greased up and I think it might have been done by my mechanic....again thanks for the feedback I appreciate it ;)

never hurts to grease it up.
Clean the zerk
put the gun on, squeeze SLOWLY, just enough until it starts to come out the boot.

overgreasing can cause damage too (too fast, too much pressure inside)

Basically anyplace there is a zerk, give it a shot of grease at every oil change. Unfortunately, I don't have ANY on my Exploder and exactly one on my F-150. That will all be changing the next time around for ball joints and tie rods.

As for yours, the places to look are at the tie rods, drag link, pitman arm, and ball joints. Assuming it's a '93, I highly doubt that a 12-year old truck still has all its original steering parts and ball joints. If they were replaced with quality aftermarket parts, they will be greaseable. If they were replaced with OEM parts, I doubt there will be a fitting in sight.

-Joe

How about for a 96 ? I replaced the ball joints with greasable ones. Anything else that can be done ?

Just because you cant get it with the gun doesnt mean you cant lube it up.
Wheel bearings and drive shaft slip yoke can be serviced and should be serviced.

So, if I am following you guys right, I need new greasible tie rods and such so I can keep those joints lubed?

Are there any other ways to get around this? How do those non-greasible joints work?
eric

Hectanooga said:
How do those non-greasible joints work?
eric

Not very well.

just to mention it again. Not lithium

lithium are you Bi-Polar???

non greaseable simply means they are sealed from the factory with lube and expected to last the lifetime of the vehicle, yeah right.......U joints typically last about 60K miles, Ball joints about the same, tie rods too.....

Especially with the mag chloride crap they put on the roads these days for snow.....yikes!

Back