• Register Today It's free!

Lubricating leaf springs?

Stand4d

Reaction score
City, State
Corona, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
Can anyone help me out and give me some directions on how to lubricate my leaf springs. Im going to start on it this week and kind of need som help. thanks, jared

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did not know you could do that:)

Are you wanting to "lube" your shackle bushings?

i think he wants to put some grease on the teflon pads to allow more articulation and less srping/spring friction

The guys at Deaver in Anaheim that build custom race and prerunner leaf packs are very against lubing the leaf packs on anything other then race vehicles that are actually prepped every run. To do it properly according to them you should pull the leaf pack apart, lightly sand each leaf and then put a thin layer of greas on them. This is okay on race vehicles cause they pull apart the leafs in between races, clean and relube. On normal vehicles you won't do that and the grease will just turn into a big dirt ball grinding away on your leafs.

Khris

I think my leaf springs are a little bit too sqeaky. Any cure to that

There's a graphite paint you can get at most farm supply stores. A few of the guys on the Willys tech board have talked about using it on there springs. Guess it works, haven't tried it myself. But if your springs are making noise it's probably the bushings. Might want to check them. They don't usually make noise unless there going bad, atleast that's been my experence.

Keith

make sure its not ur shocks squeeking, because mine do

Mine squeak too, I just spray a good amount of lithium grease on the front leaf mounts and around the pads, after I take it to the car wash. It goes away for a month or two they I have to do it again. I know, it is annoying, sounds like my grandfather's old F-100.:eek:

Back