• Register Today It's free!

Leaf springs

Brandon1993Sport

Reaction score
City, State
Corpus Christi, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport
Do the rear leaf springs in explorers ever settle and sag like the front coil springs do? Are there any complete leaf spring replacements (not add-a-leaf's) that are available which would also give 1"-1.5" of lift? I just got rancho rs5000's and I'm going to get the rough country leveling coils so I want to make sure the leaf springs are good since I"m replacing the rest of my suspension. Thanks for any help

------------------
1993 Explorer Sport 2wd
4.0 L. V6 3.73 gears
2.5" pipes w/flowmaster
Brand new Rancho RS5000's
Pioneer sound sys.
235/75 AT's

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, leaf springs do sag. It's an unfortunate fact of life.

Several companies make replacement leaf springs - not sure if anyone makes a spring pack with only 1-1.5" of lift. You could have a pack custom made - expensive, but you have a better chance of getting exactly what you want.

------------------
Scott
1993 Ranger, Modified

sjbosso@mindspring.com

When replacing the leaf springs on a 1994 Explorer, is it necessary to remove the rivets from the front leaf spring bracket or do you simply remove the bolt going through the end of the leaf spring? Also, what's a good price for new leaf springs? Thanks in advance for any advice.

------------------
Scott

1994 XLT 4x4

Brandon1993Sport,
Old Man Emu will have a full set of rear springs with 2" of lift in the very near future for Explorers. I just finished doing a beta test of them and I really like them. The word out is that they are right now sending the springs and Nitro charger shocks to the U.S. They are much smoother than the stock springs and held up quite well at Moab. Old Man Emu is a subsidiary of the Famous "air locker" ARB corp. This stuff is built heavy duty

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC
Dead Link Removed

HEY,
A COMPANY CALLED "CUSTOM SPRING" MAKES LEAF PACKS TO WHATEVER SPEC YOU NEED(NOT SURE OF THE #, BUT THEY ADVERTISE IN FOUR WHEELER MAG..IN THE BACK...I'LL LOOK FOR IT AND REPLY AGAIN.

ALSO I THINK RANCHO MAKES A 2" FULL ADD A LEAF THAT MIGHT WORK FOR YOU...THE FULL LEAF WILL GIVE YOU A BETTER RIDE OVER THE SHORT STANDERED ADD A LEAF..

GOODLUCK..JIM

brandon- i am sure you have looked in to this, but depending on how bad your rear end is sagging, new Warrior shackles might save you a ton of money and get the leveling done. they 8.5 in long so depending on how long your shackles are now(mine are 5.5) you could get the 1-1.5 you need. the lift you will recieve is half of the difference between old and new. they have been discussed on here many times, just search for warrior shackles. i beleive replacing just the shackles will also maintain your ride instead of stiffening it like a new pack would. hope this helps

------------------
Tom
'94 XLT 4-door 4x4

Back