Lug nut bolt size for 2016 Explorer XLT question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lug nut bolt size for 2016 Explorer XLT question

100pctFord

Reaction score
City, State
Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer XLT
I'm not really technically saavy but I'm not terrible either. I have one of those cross tire irons that allow you to put more leverage on the lug nut. It has four different sizes. The 3/4" size seemed to fit the lug nuts pretty well, but when I checked the owner's manual, the bolt size is 1/2-20 x 1.5. Would the 3/4" tire iron work on those lug nuts or would I be best off to use the tire iron that comes with the SUV?

Selection_002.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1/2-20 are the thread specs, not the socket size that fits the lug. 1.5 is the length. I think either 13/16 or 3/4 hex and your 4-way should have both.

3/4” or 19mm with both work fine.

Use the cross tire iron, especially after some shop over-torques your lug nuts, applying even pressure from both sides of the iron will cause less stress on the stud (bolt) than the factory right-angle style lug wrench.

When you go into a tire dealer to have them do anything with the tires request that they use a torque wrench when the tighten the lugs.

If not when you get home loosen the lugs and use a torque wrench to apply the correct amount of torque to each lug.

On the size, 3/4" equals 19.05mm.

Back