lumi installed

Goober

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Lexington, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91XLT4x4
I ordered it from JCWhitney and had it within 3 working days as promised. Total cost of $36. After getting home last night, I hooked it up and only had one problem. I guessed the wrong wire for the power in the tailight and got out my handy-dandy Haynes manual and looked it up(brown wire). The ground went to the door strike for the gate. Tested it and buttoned everything back down, works great. I routed it so the only evidence is the black wire from the lightgoing from the trim around the back window to the interior where I put the inverter out of the weather. Ran the wires down to a grommet that enters the side of the tailight housing and hooked it up. The black wire runs right next to the rear defroster wires so you can barely see it. A couple small zip ties and pull the wire to the backside and it is gone.

Easy install, had to enlarge one hole to slip the connector through and route it. About 30 minutes and done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

got mine today

Im waiting to get my billet grill before i Install my lumilogo on the front. However, where is the parking light positive wire? Do i need to splice into the wire and solder the lumi wire to it?

Hey, just an idea, but someone posted it a while back. Splice the logo into the license plate light. The wiring and inverter can be tucked inside the panel of the liftgate. This also cuts down on the need to run wires all over the place. Those of you who have already installed it may know better than me if it would really work, but I don't see why not. I am waiting on delivery of mine, and am planning on hooking it up that way. Just my .02

RytM1,
That will work on the newer ones with the license lights that is integrated with the tailgate, but on the older 91-94 the lights are in the bumper. I had just enough wire to reach the tailight without slicing any extra length. Finished it up last night and it is totally hidden.

Soupbone, I don't know what color of wire is the parking light up front, perhaps someone who has done the front can say, I know it is brown for the rear. I used a wire splice to tap into the wire. It has two places to put the wire in, clamp it down and your done.

Once in you will be suprised at how many people do a double take when they see it. I got mine set up so when people do I can flip it on and off a few times

I had thought of that Brian. But it seemed like more..'work'.. so I dismissed the idea.. LOL

Jeff

I was more work but it sure if fun to play with

Finally got around to installing it. Didnt take long at all. But installing the billet grill took like 45 mintues. Its a small attention getter.

Dead Link Removed

any pics of your billet grille soup? which one did you get? I just installed by e&g grille too. what do I have to do to install the lumi logo? remove tailgate? plz explain..thx

I used the E&G grill also purchased from explorer express. They are local shop and have very nice service and people. I didnt install the rear logo yet. That will be part 2 of the install. As far as the front all I did was find the parking light positive and splice into it with the lumi wire. Then just ground the negative lumi wire to the chassis. Oh by the way be carefull when you pull the front grill off. I busted two of my signal lights hehe. Got new ones no problem.

Dead Link Removed

Back