Lurker's first post due to no start! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lurker's first post due to no start!

Mr. Steel

Reaction score
City, State
Citrus Heights, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 mountie monterey
Hey all. I've been lurking around these forums and getting good info about my BII. Mine is an 87 4x4 with a mitsu 5-speed and standard transfer case.

When I bought it, it didn't run. So I replaced both fuel pumps, relays, wires/cap/rotor, battery, battery terminals, and jumped the inertia switch.

She ran beautifully besides the lack of 4 low.

Now yesterday I'm driving it all day. Did some wheeling in the morning around the empty ass Folsom Lake. I parked it at a gas station for a few minutes. When I tried to start it up, nadda. I shook the cables and starter solenoid and still nadda. Jumped it, and the starter made an abrupt grinding noise, then nadda. Happened every time I turned the key.

That's just the first problem!
After jumping it didn't work, we tried push starting it. When we popped the clutch, the damn thing kept rolling! And yes, the transfercase was shifted into 2high.

Everything worked PERFECTLY in the morning until I parked it. Any clues?

Tranny will be ripped out tomorrow night if I don't get any good leads...and transfer case will get some new parts :)

That's an interesting one dude. I'm going to guess that you will figure it out pretty quick when you yank the transmission. Post pics!

I was thinking that if it turned out to be the fly wheel, then I'll just go full throttle with the 4.0L clutch swap. Other wise I'd like to keep it simple. I'll post pics while the wrench is flying...

Back