M/T Tires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

M/T Tires

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got some Kumho's a couple days ago, they've been real well on and off road. It's rained all week and they handle a lot better than I thought on the road. Offroad they are perfect. Don't know how an A/T would do with all the mud, but I say M/T's are nice.

The Destination M/T is a new tire (less than a year old) so I can't tell you much about them, but personaly I wouldn't waste my money on anything made by Firestone. They have always been a poor tire and the B.S. a few years ago only helped confirm my oppinion.

Dick Cepek makes a good M/T tire. That's what I had when I had 31's.

I like my Kumho's M/T's so far too. Nice ride, not too loud, much better in the rain than other MT's I have had. We are having a run at the Mound's here on Sat, will update more on them then.

I have heard that the Wrangler MT/Rs are "quiet" on the road and they are awesome off road. I have also heard that they wear like steel.

i like mt BFG M/T. never been a time when i wasn't pleased with them.

I have a set of MTRs on my Ranger. They are not quiet. Keeping them balenced and rotated helps with the noise. I got almost 40,000-miles on them. I will get at least 50,000-miles. I think that they are over priced. I would recommended them if you are going to do some off roading with a daily driver.

Any mud tire rides rough, and handles poorly compared to an all terrain tire on pavement. They make a lot of noise, but IMO it is a beautiful noise. But as soon as you get in the goo, that makes it all worth while.

Im rinning Big-O Big foot XT's
Awesome MT tire :D

Originally posted by Digger196
i like mt BFG M/T. never been a time when i wasn't pleased with them.

They are great tires, but when I bought mud tires the bfg's were $150 (package price) than the Dick Cepek's.

I had dueler M/T's (FOR SALE 31X10.50's)and were great tires and they are one of the best that wear good. They will probably last for like 50,000. Now I have procomp M/T's and there a really good tire too.

I have had a few sets of M/T's pro comp, goodyear mt/r, super swamper radials/ and tsl's, and bf goodrich. I didn't like the mtr's on the pavement at all, loud and hard to keep ballanced. I liked the pro comp's a lot but never bought a second set due to the price, I don't know why? I'll get back to you for the rest of the review...........

Ok where was I? oh yes :) I thought the pro coms were great. I just got the bfg's and have about 30 miles on them and think they are the best so far. I also had the peerless mud tracks on there before and didn't like them. If you want something totaly gnarly get the swampers but dont drive them on the road unless you don't care about tread life or tire noise :)

I had the mud kings on my 78 f-150 and i swear by them for mud. There are similiar tread pattern to the bfg m/t and made by bfg. I wouldnt buy anything but either of the 2 for offroading.

redrig, funny you should mention the mud kings :) I had them on my first truck but only for like 2 months before I sold it :) I don't know how they wore cause I was only 18 and didn't care as long as I had mt's :) that and they were only 235/75/15's, thats the funny part ;) I also had the sport kings which are the all terain version and they sucked bad though, always stuck.

ive got yokohama geolandar m/t's and they work beautifilly everywhere- theyre quiet, clean great, look nice, but they wear WAYYYY too fast.

rfuree11- Checked out your explorer page, and I LOVE the suicide knob LoL :D

There was a beater Ram stuck up to its door sills in mud and the owner said if i could get it out, it (the truck) was mine, so i put it in low and tried, but that thing wouldnt budge, so i asked if i could have the knob for my efforts, so i busted out the screwdriver and kanked that baby out. It turns out a tractor pulled it out the next day.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by hvac man
redrig, funny you should mention the mud kings :) I had them on my first truck but only for like 2 months before I sold it :) I don't know how they wore cause I was only 18 and didn't care as long as I had mt's :) that and they were only 235/75/15's, thats the funny part ;) I also had the sport kings which are the all terain version and they sucked bad though, always stuck.

i;ll agree....sport king ATs suck! I have yet to runa mud tire, but my BFG ATs did quite well in the mud last weekend. i hope to try this weekend (and BTW, my BFGs are siped too, which helps).

Back