Help selecting new tires + pics | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help selecting new tires + pics

I need to change my tires, I have 255/70/16 in my 99 Ex and I'm between Firestone destination a/t http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Destination+A/T and the Bridgestone dueler a/t revo http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Dueler A/T Revo&partnum=57SR6ATREVOWL.

What do you guys thing would be my best option, so what are your recommendations. By reading the surveyed averages in tire rack I think for the price and the survey the destination is a better option.

I would like to see pictures of both tires in a 16 wheel.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It depends on your needs. Both of these tires are very similar. The duelers look like they will have better snow/ice handling than the destinations. And the Destinations look like they are better suited for rain than the Duelers.

Obviously, either tire is excellent. I think the REVO looks a little more aggressive, but both are similarly rated. The Destination is going to save you a few bucks and edges the REVO slightly, so I'd personally go with it.

Thanks guys for the quick reply. I live in Ga and I'm planning in moving to Fl, so that means no snow. I do very little off road but I do like the aggressive look. Since I have a 2 year old son I would like to go with the best one when it comes to rain.
I'll be putting the EB fender flares to my XLS but I'm not sure if a more aggressive tire looks good in a wanna be EB.

Just to let you know guys I tow a boat so I need good traction on a boat ramp.

I've launched boats no problems in all sorts of tires to include your standard Wrangler highway tire. I think the Destination is going to hold up better. The Revo is most likely a softer rubber giving it the edge in snow/ice. If your not going to encounter this I'd just buckle down and get the Destinations. There are also other aggressive looking tires that are great both on and offroad if your looking for a balance of aggressive/functional.

I did a quick search in here and members are reporting good treadwear with the revo's. So I guess the price difference could be worth if I can get more miles out of the revo's

Thanks, I think the destination is a great option. I'll probably go with them, but since I'll be getting them locally and if the price is not much of a difference I'll go with the revos if I can get more miles out of the.

I've launched boats no problems in all sorts of tires to include your standard Wrangler highway tire. I think the Destination is going to hold up better. The Revo is most likely a softer rubber giving it the edge in snow/ice. If your not going to encounter this I'd just buckle down and get the Destinations. There are also other aggressive looking tires that are great both on and offroad if your looking for a balance of aggressive/functional.

If I go with a 265/75/16 instead of the OEM size (255/70/16), will this decrease my fuel economy? Does someone has a pictures of a 265/75/16 on an OEM wheel?
I will like to see how a bigger tire looks.

The Firestone Destination AT is ok if you just want a standard looking AT-type SUV tire that has above average performance and is obviously one of the better pavement-oriented AT's.

The Bridgestone Dueler Revo's ARE slightly better for lots of things like off-road, snow, mud, and apparently even better on pavement due to the softer compound. Apparently this is at the cost of treadwear, though. I've only seen complaints that they don't last very long, compared to quite a few other tires. If you want an aggressive looking performance tire, it's about the only one, but its soft. Of course you can get good mileage out of any tire depending on how you drive.

Have you considered going with an all-season type tire considering your needs?

A tire like the Michelin LTX M/S would excel over both the AT's in terms of ride, wet weather, and long term mileage, depending on what's more important to you.

You can go with the slightly larger size if you feel like it, but fuel economy does tend to suffer a bit due to the increased weight and the effect on gearing. It might get slightly better mileage on long highway trips with the reduced RPMs caused by the slightly larger diameter tires, especially if you take it easy when accelerating.

Back