M5OD swap from 2nd gen into first? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

M5OD swap from 2nd gen into first?

Ps at 220* mine pukes,190* im stopping and letting it cool.

Thanks. That's good to know. Hopefully it'll be okay after I get the cooler straightened out, I'm going to do the manual swap anyway though.

I've read a lot of people who just kept the auto ECU after swapping to a manual, I will see if that works, if not I bet I can find an ECU, theres 5 junkyards within a half hour of me and on any given day there's probably 100 first gen explorers in them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, I did that with the mustang back in the day but i think there is a problem with the ex... just can't remember what the hell it is.

Just in case anybody is ever looking to do this in the future, the 2nd gen pedals and pedal box do not work in a 1st gen. The clutch pedal position switch DOES plug right in.

Going to see if the 2nd gen manual harness work right now.

Another update for anyone that stumbles across this one day looking to do the swap...

2nd gen transmission harness will not work in a first gen. Managed to score one at the junkyard for about 23 bucks. From what I have read it sounds like the harness changed in 94 then changed again in 95 or 96, so best bet is to get it from the same year ex. On my 93, the harness also connects to a few other things in the engine compartment, 2 plugs on top of the drivers side inner fender, the oil pressure sensor and 1 other thing but I can't remember what.

Master cylinder is also different from 1st to 2nd gen.

Need to find the right computer (ecu,ecm,pcm) for the manual swap still, but slowly moving forward anyway. Does anybody know what the difference between California and non-CA pcm is? My truck does not have EGR so I'm assuming a non-CA 93 pcm would work?

More updates to come soon, hoping to install the trans tomorrow. I will also have an a4ld and some trick parts for sale soon. (New torque converter,B&M cooler with custom bolt in brackets, pan with temp sensor and drain plug preinstalled along with a sunpro temp gauge etc.)

I found the 93 harness matches up with a 94. At less the 93 harness I got has all the connectors I need for my 94. The 91 harness I got with my trans had a lot of missing Plugs on the engine side.

I found the 93 harness matches up with a 94. At less the 93 harness I got has all the connectors I need for my 94. The 91 harness I got with my trans had a lot of missing Plugs on the engine side.

Good to know, thanks! How is your swap coming?

Edit: Just found your thread...Saab pulling the trailer is bad ass.:thumbsup:

I'm moving along with it. Just doing a few odds and ends right now. I'm really hoping to get my parts ordered in early June and have it running by July. I can't wait. Pushing it around the driveway is getting old!!

Thought I'd give a little update, I finished the swap like a week ago, honestly start to finish it could probably be done in a day or 2 in the driveway with hand tools if you get all your parts before. The floor plate and shift boot out of the second gen worked okay. I stashed a PCM out of a manual ex in the junkyard and waited for a half off sale, went and bought it, turned out to be an auto ecu. LOL Fortunately i got a warranty so i'll probably find another one soon.

Truck is definitely down on power and cuts out at 4K RPM with the auto PCM and the harness wired up to make it think it's in neutral. (My M5od does not have a neutral switch).

I filled my m5od with 0w20 mobil 1 motor oil, resealed the shifter plugs with RTV. I Drilled a small hole through the middle of the middle one and stuck a piece of thin vacuum tube into the hole and sealed it up, ran it up into the engine compartment and then down into the front fender. So now I have a vent tube which I suspect will help prevent any future leaks.

Anyhow, once I get the correct PCM i will update again with how it runs.

Back