• Register Today It's free!

MAC Cold air induction opinions

jmason

Reaction score
City, State
Sicklerville NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mountaineer V8 - AWD
I currently have a K&N, in my stock air intake..thinking of going to a MAC Kit....Does anyone have a MAC complete cold air induction kit for a 2000 5.0? I am not sure of the quality of the thing. Also, is the filter at the same quality level as a K&N filter ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

MAC does make a great kit for the 2000 5.0. It's probably the best option for the 5.0 (there is a cheaper option with ASMI but it's not as refined). MAC will fit your Mounty for sure. Proficient Performance has the best deal on MAC here, and that price includes shipping.

As an aside, my setup for my '99 V8 is here. I would have gone with MAC except I had so many parts already from my old SOHC equipped Sport.

Make sure to look at a free flowing exhaust and custom tuning if you haven't already. They go hand in hand with an intake system.

(p.s. I used to have a MAC kit for my SOHC. Quality it top notch. Instructions suck, but they do for all the kits).

MAC makes an excellent CAI! Have used thier product for years with excellent results!

I've got the same truck. Let me know how it goes if you get the MAC. I'm consdering it too. Soon I'll be doing the exhaust for sure. Just need to save a few bucks first.
The tuner may be a little down the road. I'll probably do plugs and wires first.

They're nice. But I'm questioning if they're actually worth it.

I've down graded to the stock tube with the MAC filter holder with no difference in performance, but sounds much better.

It makes some annoying noises with the metal tube.

info

I read a whole bunch of stuff this week on the paper vs. K&N thing. did a little experiment. drove to work yesterday with the K&N, payed close attention to the performance. put a paper in there today while the K&N dries from cleaning last night. I have driven on the K&N for 30k miles...theres a difference. no doubt about it. especially with the throttle response..and when i merged onto the highway and floored it, i could defintley feel less power today. weather was identical to yesterday. I also took a white cloth, got up in there into the intake, wiped it all out, and didnt find a speck, not even a speck of dust or oil..i couldnt believe it...maybe the dust is just passing into the engine. but i expected to see SOMETHING on the cloth.....nothing.

but the engine may just be inhaling the dust..that always concerns me.....but there a difference on this vehicle..by a couple of HP anyway...throttle response is the biggest difference though..we'll see in the long run if its slowly killing the engine..im at 109,000 now, and plan to keep it at least to 250k God willing

If you are concerned about "dirt" entering the motor, do a used oil analysis ( UOA ) and look at the Silicon level.

I have UOA data up to 25k miles with a K&N filter, an S&B filter as well as the Mac filter; never an out of range Silicon level.

If you see no diff in performance switching to the stock tube and it's quieter, then maybe the better choice would be the KKM? that's only $89.00.
What about the amsoil filter? What's it cost? Does it come w/ a bracket for mounting?

tnmk said:
If you see no diff in performance switching to the stock tube and it's quieter, then maybe the better choice would be the KKM? that's only $89.00.
What about the amsoil filter? What's it cost? Does it come w/ a bracket for mounting?

Amsoil sells just a handful of filters. Cost depends on whether you have a preferred membership or not (they list the full price on their site). Check Dead Link Removed for more info. Al is a dealer so he can sponsor you for a preferred membership or arrange to ship to you as well.

They don't come with brackets. Just the filter and a hose clamp. No different than what K&N, Green or AFE do. Doesn't sound like Amsoil is entering the intake market, just the filters that other intake kits use. Smart move, IMHO.

I can make a bracket pretty easy.
I have some thoughts on other intake ideas that I just need a little time to investigate.
Kinda hard to explain until I look into farther. And I don't want to post until I know it works.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep it all in mind

I bought the K&N version. Works OK but don't buy a chrome replacement MAF. The hoses are really hard to keep from slipping off.

Zulu95 said:
I bought the K&N version. Works OK but don't buy a chrome replacement MAF. The hoses are really hard to keep from slipping off.
????????????

spindlecone said:
????????????

I was wondering the same thing. I never did get a chrome MAF from Pro-M, but I can't see what difference it would make with properly utilized hose clamps. :confused:

celly said:
I was wondering the same thing. I never did get a chrome MAF from Pro-M, but I can't see what difference it would make with properly utilized hose clamps. :confused:

When Doug and I dyno tested a Pro M ( loaned to me by Kevin {monmix} ), we experience no problems mounting it on my Mac intake.

celly said:
Not a problem, never has been.

the MAC gets a 10.0 in the bling-bling catagory

Does the Mac cold air intake suck air straight from the engine bay or from the fender well?

DixieOnMyMind59 said:
Does the Mac cold air intake suck air straight from the engine bay or from the fender well?

It's awfully close to the fenderwall, but the hole is so small, I can't see it happening. aldive just did a mod where he expanded the hole significantly, supposedly freeing up airflow. He's posted about it lots lately. Go here to see what he thinks about it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, i just got my MAC cold air intake today and installed it. This things a beast! I love that deep roar it makes when you really get on it. One question though, is that 'roar' sound coming from my exhaust or from the intake itself?

Back