• Register Today It's free!

MAC intake -- Emissions legal?

EZEric81

Reaction score
City, State
Santa Clara University, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
I was just curious if anyone knows if the MAC air induction systems are emissions legal, specifically in California. I emailed them about it and they responded with "241-5 is the Executive Order number for ca emissions." Maybe I'm just stupid, but that didn't really tell me if their product was emissions legal or not. I'm installing the system regardless, but any insight would be great. Thanks.

Eric

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I might be stupid too but I'm guessing that the 241-5 is the emission number on the package? Don't know sorry :confused:

I know that in NY it is legal....I passed my inspection no prob. i know that there are CA emissions, but it can't be far different from NY...Hope this helps

I dont think the MAC is CARB legal. To my knowledge only the K&N FIPK for the 97 X ON A 97 X is legal and CARB exempt. When my kit finally gets here, i am going to keep the stock box and re-instal it when i go to SMOG which is probably in a few months. I think everyone hates out 98's because it seems that almost every aftermarket stopped doing R&D on 97 X's and just cruised on over to the more popular big brother Expedition and Ol' Man Excursion. Safe to say, WE GOT SHAFTED, but damn i love my car. :D

Thanks, but one more question...

Thanks, the replies helped. I just installed the intake and will probably do something similar Huidaddy, just to be safe. I have one more question for you MAC owners though. There were two wires/tubes going into my stock intake tube. My chrome intake tube only accepts one. I plugged one wire in, and the other one just sits there sucking in air. It originally sucked air from the stock tubing, but now..... I don't know what it is or what it does. So any more info would be great. I really appreciate the help guys. Thanks

Eric

Originally posted by EZEric81
"241-5 is the Executive Order number for ca emissions."
Eric

Thats your answer bro. The CARB EO number is the exemption for smog. That means it is smog certified in CA. Make sure there is a sticker included in the kit that you can place on your intake or on the radiator support so the smog technician can inout it in the computer whent he time comes. They won't pass you without it.

--Sean

Very insightful--thanks for pointing that out Sean. Now I won't have to worry about reinstalling the stock setup for smog tests. Thanks again.

i FINALLY got my kit today. took almost a month. i hate RPMOUTLET. Did you guys get a sticker that DESERTSPIVE is refering to? i dont see nothin like it in my package. And what do i do with the second tube that EZERIC was talkin about?

I didn't get any CARB sticker either. I emailed both RPM outlet and MACPerformance about that, and they haven't responded. I'm still asking around about the crankcase hose too.

Yo EZEric, any word on the CARB sticker? what about the lone pipe? I JUST installed mine this morning. The first wiring set-up is probably teh air temperature sensor. the other goes straight to the same pipe where the oil goes. whats up with that? can i just tape it off and forget about it or should i really do something about it? do yall think it has to do with some kinda vaccum system thats related to the intake pressure and oil gages? will it spew oil onto my pretty engine if i dont cover the hole? hehe. lemme know guys. thanks.

I just got an email from MACPerformance saying that they will mail me a CARB sticker and if the smog people have any concerns, they can call them direct. I guess that will work for now. Regarding the oil filler tube, I just attached a little breather filter (Pep Boys $9.99) at the end, so it sucks in clean air as opposed to unfiltered air. I think it looks pretty neat, with the small filter sitting next to the larger MAC filter. When I take some pics this weekend, I'll send some over if you'd like.

One more thing HuiDaddy, I don't know if you have seen this thread but I found it pretty useful. It's a discussion on that air hose...
Dead Link Removed

YOU ROCK EZERIC! thanks man.

Back