• Register Today It's free!

MAC intake opinions

TheJMan

Reaction score
City, State
Scottsdale, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Mazda 3 Hatchback
I ordered a MAC intake about a week ago, and am waiting for it to arrive. I was just curious to know what everyone else thinks of the MAC intake. I would have purchased a KKM but we do have emissions testing here in AZ.

My intent was to give my 5.0 a throatier sound without making it "louder".

Will the MAC intake do as I hope? Or did I just throw away $139?

Thanks in advance for your opinions, either positive or negative.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will be happy with it, trust me

TheJMan said:
I ordered a MAC intake about a week ago, and am waiting for it to arrive. I was just curious to know what everyone else thinks of the MAC intake. I would have purchased a KKM but we do have emissions testing here in AZ.

My intent was to give my 5.0 a throatier sound without making it "louder".

Will the MAC intake do as I hope? Or did I just throw away $139?

Thanks in advance for your opinions, either positive or negative.

I had a MAC and it was fine. A few minor "fit" issues with mine, but overall probably the best value out there for a complete intake setup. I switched to Volant, but they're pricey. I'd definitely recommend MAC nonetheless.

Down the road you might also consider a diff filter for your Mac,I switched after finding alot of fine dust on the inside of the one that comes with the setup.
Get a Rexton Stainless, no Oil, better filtration, better airflow.
Get it dirty,wash it off, blow it out.

Attachments

• Mvc-003s.jpg
    Mvc-003s.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 201

spindlecone said:
Down the road you might also consider a diff filter for your Mac,I switched after finding alot of fine dust on the inside of the one that comes with the setup.
Get a Rexton Stainless, no Oil, better filtration, better airflow.
Get it dirty,wash it off, blow it out.

Can you tell me a bit more about this filter? Price? Where to buy? Looks like a nice filter.

The MAC sounds great on the 302. It has a weird sucking noise when you first start it up when its cold, but thats about it. I have noticed that it does make some pulsating sounds at low RPMs underload. But I'm sure thats normal.

IAmTodd said:
The MAC sounds great on the 302. It has a weird sucking noise when you first start it up when its cold, but thats about it.

The Volant does the same on my SOHC setup.

I have KNN and passed Emissions

celly said:
The Volant does the same on my SOHC setup.

I also have the high pitched squeal of my IAC. Although I just tell people its the blow off valve for my supercharger. ;)

Jman
The Rexton only comes in 3 inch,I made an adapter for the MAC which is 3.5
Celly/Todd, do you get sort of a warbeling sound at low idle, mines always done that

Attachments

• Mvc-003s.jpg
    Mvc-003s.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 194

spindlecone said:
Jman
The Rexton only comes in 3 inch,I made an adapter for the MAC which is 3.5
Celly/Todd, do you get sort of a warbeling sound at low idle, mines always done that

My MAC was always very quiet for the most part at idle. This sucking sound with the Volant is new to me.

Yes, I get a loud sucking noise at idle. I don't know if it is still the IAC doing something or what. I would say a rubber tube would have obsorbed most of it, but the metal makes it echo and louder. The easiest thing I can describe it as is an air leak.

We have one for our '02 and it doesn't make it as loud, but it still does a little bit. Dang does that thing sound mean when you romp on it!

I love my MAC intake and it makes no funny sounds.

Well when you stomp on it it makes a cool Whooooooooooooooooooooooo
sound. :)

IAmTodd said:
Yes, I get a loud sucking noise at idle. I don't know if it is still the IAC doing something or what. I would say a rubber tube would have obsorbed most of it, but the metal makes it echo and louder. The easiest thing I can describe it as is an air leak.

We have one for our '02 and it doesn't make it as loud, but it still does a little bit. Dang does that thing sound mean when you romp on it!
Than we all concur, sucking sounds are GOOD :D

Back