Made an improvised body mount for my Explorer Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Made an improvised body mount for my Explorer Sport

CdnBlueStreak

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, AB - Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Explorer Sport
I wish I had a camera...

Anyways, my '02 Sport has the typical crash and bang over bumps. It was getting pretty bad, and I was hesistant to replace it with the stupid Ford OEM crap mounts.

Went to a buddies workplace, and removed the drivers side rear mount, just to see if we could fabricate one.

After removing the bolt, we noticed the top mount was completely gone, bottom mount was still intact. All the metal pieces were still intact, as we had to reuse them. We took a mud flap from a semi, which is pretty solid rubber, and cut 4 rubber squares out of it (same size as the metal sleeve pieces), and then drilled a hole in the center using a 1 inch drill bit. We then pushed it in place of where the old material used to go, then pressed the sleeve into it.

Sild our improvised mount into place and it holds! Not sure how long it will hold for, but hopefully by that time, I can fabricate something more durable, maybe if I can find a large sheet of ployurethane or something... lol

Back