• Register Today It's free!

MAF Only

walterd140

Reaction score
City, State
Ludlow, Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Sport
So my Mass Airflow sensor is shot & need a new one. The Autozones & Pepboys sell the sensor & housing only. Does anyone know where I can get the sensor only?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You cant get one any other way.

The sensor itself has a gasket between it and the housing to completely seal the unit. I tried for weeks to get just the sensor, but, to no avail. What I've told you is what I was told by several ford dealers.

Every auto store I've been to (quite a few) has sold it only as a complete unit with the housing.

The only places you'll get the sensor by itself are likely to be online (i.e. eBay) or in a junkyard. I would not trust a used MAF sensor ever. Just have to suck it up and pay the money for the new one. I've had better luck with genuine new Ford sensors than remanufactured ones, but on a budget the reman'd ones will work fine.

Thanks all. I confirmed this by talking to a '98 owner. He said it's all 1 unit & the sensor is riveted onto the housing. So I guess I'm off to the junk yard & hope for the best. $160 for a sensor & housing is pretty steep for a '94. I'd rather dump that money elsewhere in the old girl, you know?

The sensor element protrudes from the sensor and is very fragile. There is no way to ship it with adequate protection without enclosing it in the housing. Check RockAuto for good prices and OEM Motorcraft parts.

Here is a thread with more information on the MAF: Link

It's not usually riveted on; usually safety torx bits or phillips heads in my experience. Never seen a riveted one. Also you shouldn't have to pay $160 for a reman'd one, they're about $80 here in Arkansas at most stores so I can't imagine they're that much more elsewhere.

Definitely stay away from a junkyard unit if possible. Often junkyard vehicles are there due to poor upkeep and previous owners wouldn't care about a bad MAF or other sensors as long as the car still runs. Also since batteries are usually disconnected upon arrival there's no way to pull CEL codes and see if it's been throwing a bad MAF code.

Paying the extra money for a new/reman'd sensor will be worth it for how long it lasts... you get what you pay for.

I just replaced one this last summer. Look carefully at what comes in the box when you buy the replacement. Some come with the gasket and some don't. Autozone, NAPA, Shucks do not have the gasket by itself. I had to get it from Ford, and they are not cheap. If I had to do it again, I would buy the new MAF with Gasket included.

Good Luck.

It's not usually riveted on; usually safety torx bits or phillips heads in my experience. Never seen a riveted one. Also you shouldn't have to pay $160 for a reman'd one, they're about $80 here in Arkansas at most stores so I can't imagine they're that much more elsewhere.

Definitely stay away from a junkyard unit if possible. Often junkyard vehicles are there due to poor upkeep and previous owners wouldn't care about a bad MAF or other sensors as long as the car still runs. Also since batteries are usually disconnected upon arrival there's no way to pull CEL codes and see if it's been throwing a bad MAF code.

Paying the extra money for a new/reman'd sensor will be worth it for how long it lasts... you get what you pay for.

MHMMM............78.99 @ O'Reillys

I just bought one form the classifieds here for 25, and bought one last weekend from pull a part for 8, and both worked great!

Last time at the wreckers I picked up two of the elec. boxs and tested them both out and they work great .
Used one to replace my nefs new rebuilt one that went out after 6 months on his 94.

Wreckers wanted $50 for the sensor. got 1 for $25 on e-bay. Cleaned it with contact cleaner & it runs fine.

ARCO777.... new sensor from the Autozones & NAPA only sell the sensor & housing. Did away with the secure Torx 20 (little nub in the middle) & riveted it to the housing. So now it's a bone yard or $160 for the complete thing

for the gasket I just use a O ring that fits and have never had a problem with doing that

Back