Major issue!! Tranny fluid in motor????? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Major issue!! Tranny fluid in motor?????

ehask

Reaction score
City, State
Clearwater, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
soon '92 XLT
Hey all,

My wife asked me to listen to the explorer tonight and it sounded fine but running kinda odd. Oil Press and temp were fine. I shut it down and pulled the oil dipstick to check level and it was half way up dipstick way high!!!

First thing I thought was gas in my oil but when I checked the oil had a kind of red tinge to it and still had oil consistancy. So I immediatly pulled drain plug (bad idea HOT ouch!!@$#@#) and it overfilled drain pan measured out to almost 3 gallons came out.

A little history this has a4ld and for some odd reason every 2 weeks or so I have to add 2 quarts of tranny fluid. Best part is it doesnt appear to have a leak. Tranny shop told me dipstick is marked wrong when I told them in morning it would back out of driveway fine then go into nuetral if you let it idle for a few seconds it would be in gear again. So I added the 2 quarts they said to add and that fixed the problem. I have been wondering where the 2 quarts goes every 2 weeks abd I think I found out.

Now the fun part how the hell is it getting into the motor!!! Motor is still running fine (with new oil and filter) Is it possible T fliud is getting sucked in via vacum line? Bad modulator?? Tranny overfill possibly helping this to happen?? I am going to change fluid and filter in tranny tomm but I am afraid this will continue.

Any ideas!!??

Thanks in advance

Eric

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Eric,

Are you 100% sure that you are putting the tranny fluid down the right dipstick tube?

I'm not being a smartarse, I know, er, someone, who has done just that. :eek:

Ummm

Haven't added oil since purchase of the Explorer 4 months a go :)

So if I havent added any I cant put down wrong tube. I asked the wife as well she never checks oil. I drive a chevy blazer(company truck) I bought Ex for my wife (finally got her to try something other than our Dodge Neon)

Thx Howard I will pick one up today!!

Thx,

Eric

A 92 is certainly ready for a new vacuum modulator. Cheap, only about $12 but just try to get to it. Located next to the exhaust, many find it easier to remove the passenger seat and go through an access cover. Still very tight and don't loose the little pin that will fall out. Only one nut holds it in.

Since this is your wife's vehicle, you might want to put some ty-wraps or clamps on the hoses of the vacuum tree. This fluid softens them up and they will start popping off. Don't want here getting stuck somewhere!

I just cant figure out how it made it in there and didnt cause white smoke out the exhaust!!! That is the only logical thing it could be. I run a high Coolant to Water ratio so I definately know it isnt that. No smell of gas Weird!! Just Weird!!

Taking that seat out might be a pain in the arse. Its an Eddie Bauer so the seat has electric and air. I just got home from work so im gonna go look and plan it out

Eric

Yeah, I have a 92 EB also w/ the leather/air/electric seats, but I removed both front seats, the center console, some trim (around the carpet), and pulled up the carpet to get to the top and side of the tranny through an access panel in the floor. This way you can see what you are doing.

Before you do that much work, let's think if this is possible - the vacuum modulator is hooked up to a vacuum tree near the firewall, and the vacuum tree gets its vacuum from the intake, so any fluid pulled into the intake would go into the top of the pistons and burn off causing a blue/white smoke and fouling of the plugs. I'm confused on the path that tanny fluid would have to take to get inside the engine oil pan, I can't think of one....I think what Flash was questioning is wether it is possible to have put tranny fluid in the engine, not oil (I'm assuming engine oil) as you responded.

BTW, my vacuum modulator went bad on my '92 EB also, so it probably isn't a bad thing to change it out - FRAM FM2336 is adjustable using an allen wrench, others are available that have a toolless wheel adjuster. Just don't drop the pin inside the tranny otherwise you will have to drop the pan, pull the valve body and seperator plate off because it sits on top of that plate (I speak from experience here). Don't try to put the pin in the modulator and then put the modulator into the tranny, leave the pin in the tranny and then put the modulator on.

On the seat, it isn't any worse than a regular seat - there is only one electrical connection to release. Just remove the front bolts and the outside rear bolt, tip the seat back, and disconnect that electrical connector.

Yeah Brain,

Knowing her I know she hasnt put anything in the truck as far as fluids. I do it all :) (not a bash she isnt stupid and does know where to put oil considering it says OIL in big letters on the cap.) I put the tranny fluid in when it needs it. I built plenty of limited class race cars and seen alot of things but I still dont believe it can suck tranny fluid without some smoke??

I dont know I think I am going to monitor oil level closely for next few days. before signing off on this.

Eric

Here's a quick and easy test: pull off the connection that sends vacuum to the modulator at the vacuum tree (driver's side of the intake, top connection pointing slighlty towards the firewall, the one with a short piece of rubber tubing then going to a steel line that runs across the engine near the firewall), swab the inside of the nipple with a q-tip. If it is sucking fluid, it will definitely be there.

Damn!! Back to square one. I did that and it has tranny fluid in the line!!!! No s$#@!! I guess I have to change it after all. There is not much on it but i can see the signature pink color and it smells like it. It generally goes 2 to 3 weeks before needing more fluid since we purchased (used) in may. This looks like a weekend project !!

Thanks guys

I you want to see a pincture of the modulator, clip and pin, here's a link (modulator is about 3/4 down the page):
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98027&page=4

It's on the passenger side, and now that I've pulled everything apart, I think you might be able to support the trans/transfer case with a jack, remove the cross support (for the tans+t-case), and lower the transmission enough to get access to the modulator. I'm not sure as I didn't try that but maybe somebody else here has. It seems like it would work to me and would keep you from removing seats etc..

Tranny fluid in radiator coolant

I have a similar problem. My radiator overflowed on Friday and it came out pink... Judging by the color and smell, it was tranny fluid. I thought maybe I had blown a main seal or ruptured the radiator, but it would sure be nice if it was something as easy as a modulator! Any ideas? The tranny started to slip the last two days immediately before over flowing the coolant overflow tank.

The transmission is cooled by first sending the fluid through a heat exchanger in the radiator and then through an aux. cooler mounted right behind the grill. If the heat exchanger in the radiator is leaking, it can put tranny fluid in the coolant and coolant in the tranny...only solution I know if is to replace the radiator - I wouldn't run the tranny w/ coolant in it (slipping and less lubrication). Sounds like a tranny fluid flush and a new radiator are in order. Here's a site for reasonable radiators (or do a google search):
http://www.radiatorbarn.com

On the tranny fluid in the engine, I finally came up with one idea on how it could get in there. The PCV valve connects the intake manifold and the valve cover on the driver's side right in front of the vacuum supply tree....maybe it's going up through the tree into the manifold and then back down through the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) valve??? Pull the line from the manifold (right in front of the vacuum tree) and see if there is tranny fluid in that line...if so also check/replace the PCV valve. You also might want to check the spark plugs to see if they are oil fouled from burning tranny fluid.

I am hoping that's all it is. A new Radiator is a lot cheaper and easier to replace than the alternatives. Can't seem to get away from these darn radiators...
In fact, I just installed three J**P radiators this weekend so I'm starting to smell like Low-Tox...

I can't think of any other entry ways for the tranny fluid to get into the cooling system. Can anybody else?

Update!!

Dodged a Hurricane PHEW!!! we were set to ride it out but I am glad it missed us I know my house wouldn't have withstood after seeing our neighbors south of us. I feel real bad for them.

I pulled the seats out and removed access panel. Not much room to work by the way.

When I pulled the vaccum line off Tranny fluid came pouring out of the line going up to the engine. I removed the Heat Shield Nut and moved the shield so I would have better room to work.

Thx all for the help!!

Glad to hear it didn't get you. Also happy your problem was reletively cheap and easy to fix.

My 94 had a bad modulator--took my dad and I a while to figure out what was going on. When I'd start up the car after it had been sittinga while, just as the engine would catch it would sort of misfire (I guess as the transmission fluid hit got inside the engine block), make a helluva noise, and it would blow the transmission vacuum line off the vacuum tree, and the engine dying.

At 6:45 in the morning while rushing to school (this was a few years ago) my dad and I werent in the best condition to try and solve the problem. It happened several times, and the quick fix was wiping out a as much of the transmission fluid as possible and tie wrapping the hose back on.

Replacing the modulator solved the problem and it hasn't come back since (5 or 6 years now).

Back