PISSING tranny fluid after adding!!! HUH? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PISSING tranny fluid after adding!!! HUH?

35Remmy

Reaction score
City, State
Binghamton NY, Hazleton PA, Northern NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'88,'99 Ranger, '00 EX
OK...got the valve body in, buttoned everything back up.

I took the old fluid and measured what drained out in a 1 gallon container...a total of 7 quarts (PLUS I figured at LEAST half a quart on the garage floor!) is what came out.

SOO...I put 7 quarts back in. I noticed the DIPSTICK TUBE was full of fluid after adding the fluid.

I figued, well, when I start the truck the pump will suck everything in.

I started her, and transmission fluid (about 3/4 of a quart) was pissing from that vent tube(?) that hangs next to the transmission pan.

Is it OVERFILLED, or is this normal? Truck ran for MAYBE 15 seconds.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

CENTRAL VALVE BODIES 5R55E installation COMPLETE!!!

OK it was nothing...I guess I put more fluid in at one time than the transmission could take at once.

Took the Ranger for a ride, and my transmission is all FIXED!!!

The new VB corrected my: *2-3 flare
*flare going into OD
*shudder throughout gears ("old" fluid was still "new" Mercon V so I KNOW that the BRAND new fluid didn't have anything to do with the shudder.
*when slowing down for a turn, I would give her gas and the transmission would "wind" itself up (?) and hit into the wrong gear, then correct itself...this is completely gone.
*shifts are SLIGHTLY firmer

I STILL have the 1-second delay going into reverse...I didn't use the D-ring kit like I SHOULD have, but that will be easy next time the pan is off.

It STILL takes a LOT of throttle to shift out of OD when, say, pulling up a hill...is there a cable that may need adjustment, or should I adjust the OD band?

I DID heed the advice from others and installed a drain plug kit. I really am excited about that one!!!

Brooklyn...thanks for keeping up with my posts, it's very much appreciated!

Yes, Donny definitely knows what he's doing with these valve bodies.

If it wasn't for this site I would have been in complete DARKNESS and would have assumed a rebuild was necessary.

Does that reverse piston (or servo?) just twist out? I noticed it would spin, but didn't want to fool with it. I did re-use the old gasket...it was fine.

Those pistons have springs behind them. They have to be pushed in slightly to allow the snap ring to be removed. The snap ring is usually the hardest part, having the right tool is key, plus leverage.

Filling a trans takes a while, usually you should add about 5 quarts or so, even say three less than what you may measure. It takes time for the pump to push the fluid through all of the air filled passages. Start it and check fluids, and for leaks. Top off the fluids until they settle. Then slowly shift while stopped through the gears, one at a time, slowly. It takes time for the fluid to push out all of the air. Top off fluids, check again, test drive shortly, come back and top off fluids again. Then check several times over the next week.

Congrats on the work, it's long but can be fun. Regards,

CDW that's just the thing...this job was actually kind of fun, heh. The reward is the best part!

Well my OD shudder isn't TOTALLY gone....it used to do it

1)dropping down in to OD
2) while pressing the gas pedal wanting to get her OUT of OD

Now it's ONLY shuddering while pressing the gas pedal more trying to get a shift OUT of OD...and it doesn't do it ALL of the time. I'm wondering if I could even have a spark issue(like my PINGING) or even bad wires. I had a similar feeling on my 88 Ranger once (shuddering under load up a hill minus the pinging) and I actually had bad wires.

While I'm pressing the gas pedal to get OUT of OD, she's bogging, PINGING, then a little "waah" for a SECOND, then "waaahhhhh" once it gets out of OD.

I'm wondering if the PINGING has something to do with this shifting problem? Like an engine load issue in relation to the transmission? Any relation?

Also, I'm convinced 5R55E's just shift DIFFERENT...taking OFF I feel every shift, ...but when downshifting (like if I stomp the gas) I don't get that unquestionable gear shift like every other transmission I've felt...it just kind of slides into the next gear and accelerates. Is this normal?

Well if the trans work has been done right and everything is mechanically sound, it might be time for a PCM tuning. James sounds like he has had good success with the trans functions. I plan to have him do mine very soon in my 99 work truck.

I found this on another site...Oh, and I have NO 1-2 shudder at ALL...I caps locked the part that talks about this...

"Short and simple: Readjust braking brands. Replace Fluid/Filter and possibly Valve Body gasket and EPC or O/D Solenoid

The shudder is band-slippage (slippage is due to uneven grip and sudden RPM/Torque changes as it bites and slips until it fully engages. Generally a quick 5-minute band-readjustment will fix this before things get worse) A band readjustment guide can be found in the post in my sig. Double check for actual turn-back numbers on your tranny model

On a side note, being that you have the 5R55E tranny (which i'm pretty sure you do as it's a 4.0L) YOU WOULD HAVE A SHUDDER OF SOME SORT IN BOTH THE 1-2 SHIFT and the D-O/D final shift as the O/D band is utilized in both these cases. Final Gear ratio between the 4 and 5 speed is the same, it's just that 2nd gear is actually more like 1st(OD) giving a better take-off.

As you're saying with taking off and coming to a stop it's having problem and at high-end with O/D it's more than likely O/D band related. Band adjustment is easiest an cheapest. Than fluid/filter/solenoid which are still DIY and relatively cheap before you have to have serious work."

Why does he call them "braking" bands? I didn't adjust my bands but I know from this site that they are the OD band and the intermediate band. Guess I'll have to do this this weekend...worth a try, huh?

CDW, how do I do a PCM tune? Who does it? Is that like a re-flash?

I hate transmissions...

Yes, do adjust the bands. Maybe he is referring to them as parts which can break, I don't know about that name. The TransGo instructions had a good band adjustment process.

The PCM does or can greatly affect the trans. The typical issues aren't caused by the PCM, but the shifts can be improved with different tuning. That requires a flasher device to swap the program in the PCM, those cost about $400 new and include a certain amount of programming. Some used flashers turn up once in a while, for some savings. If you do need more tweaking, power included, it's worth the effort.

I know my VB has the Sonnax upgrades, but the Superior shift kit mentions:

* Delay reverse (I still have this)

* Soft sliding shifts (is this what I meant when I JUST said "slides into the next gear?!)

* Overlap shift timing (is this when the trans kinda slightly "bumps" or slightly "hits" going in to the next gear?

* 3rd gear slips
* Slips or loss of forward
* Low pressure dips
* Regular & heavy duty options

I guess I'll have to call Donny at Central Valve Bodies and ask him if his upgrades addressed the soft sliding shifts/overlap shift timing?

I KNOW I need to do the Viton D-ring kit

Thanks Brooklyn (and thanks CDW as well!) for your help.

Brooklyn...want to know why I honestly didn't adjust the bands?

I was too dang excited about having the VB all buttoned up, my back and rear end had sores on them from laying on the garage floor for so long (I hate that, 'specially when you get in the shower...feels like an open wound...my wife was like "my God!", heh)

Also...I didn't have a deep socket for the locking nut, and I have to remove what looks to be a shifter bracket or something. It's black, heh.

Question...why do you back OFF of the adjusting nut for adjustment? Is it like the same idea as something that's reverse threaded? Are we loosening or tightening the bands?

I need to take a class on auto trannies. They interest me a LOT!!!

How would you guys honestly rate the reliability of this tranny? Good? Bad? In between?

I've stated in an earlier post that I was told that there are transmission shops
that won't touch the A4LD...I don't know much about trannies, so I don't know why or if there's any truth to this.

I'm not 100% sure if mine is shifting like it's supposed to, but if it IS, even MINUS the "getting-out-of-OD-shudder" I have to be truthful...I don't like the shifting characteristics of this transmission at all. It doesn't feel "confident" if that makes any sense. It's not FIRM and CONFIDENT...that's it!!! The perfect description!!!

I'll have to take my dad's '99 Mazda 4.0 for a spin the next time I visit my parents...and compare.

The nut locks the adjusting stud in place. As for the shops not wanting to touch them, they can't keep up with the updates. Every year, and engine it matches up to has something a little different.

The A4LD had an awful reputation ten years ago, and it hasn't gotten much better. The 5R is an evolution of that with a few upgrades. With everything working properly they should be reasonably reliable.

I still would describe my 5R ads you just did, which is why I'm going to go back in again. I'm going to change the 1/2 and TC shift solenoids, add the o-ring kit to the VB, and change the seals on the pistons and covers. I'll do my PCM programming next to fine tune things.

Brooklyn...isn't the common complaint with the 5R55E is that it has soft, almost unrecognizable shifts?

Whatever transmission is in my wife's 5.0 Explorer I want in my Ranger. I LOVE how that tranny shifts. You KNOW when it shifts!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, but Brooklyn, (do you mind me asking what your name is, I'm Anthony) I can't see spending 400$ on a re-flash...if that's the case, and I'm not harming the tranny, I'll just deal with it!!!

Where in Brooklyn are you? I grew up in North Jersey, Bergen County, my family still lives there as well as Hoboken. Dad works in Manhattan.

Back