Major problem after idler pulley seized ! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Major problem after idler pulley seized !

Markn

Reaction score
City, State
Johannesburg
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Vehicle is a 97 Exp 4.0l sohc auto.
Last week while coming back from our local shopping mall ( about 2 kms away ) the idler pulley seized/disintergrated and the serp belt shredded.Got home with much difficulty,no p/s,and left the Exp to cool down.
Over the weekend checked for any damage and other than losing about 3 liters of coolant everything seemed alright.I even started the Exp and ran it for some 15 sec's without any obvious problems.
Got the new idler pulley and fitted it with a new serp belt.Checked that all the pulleys were spinning freely,topped up with coolant and tried to start the vehicle.The motor gave half a turn and " locked up " ( I'm to scared to use the term seized ).Removed the serp belt and tried starting the vehicle but no joy.
What baffles me is that the motor ran perfectly over the weekend but yesterday after the repair refused to turn over and I'm pretty sure there is no problem with the starter.
Any advice on what to check next will be a huge help or perhaps just point me in the right dirction

Markn

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pull all the spark plugs before going any further. Sounds like there may be a gasket problem letting coolant into one or more of the cylinders.

Pull all the spark plugs before going any further. Sounds like there may be a gasket problem letting coolant into one or more of the cylinders.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hate to say it but this is likely very bad. Never drive an overheating engine.

If you lost 3 liters of coolant! Where did it go? With no serpentine belt you have no water pump so my guess would be you severely overheated and warped a head causing a gasket to blow. The hot engine was able to burn the coolant as it entered the cylinders. When you restarted later the water pump did not move any coolant so the engine was able to run.

Now that the belt is back on and pump working, you ran the engine full of antifreeze and likely hydrolocked a cylinder. You'll know which one(s) are bad when you pull the plugs as it will likely be wet. Once all the plugs are out turn the engine by hand and the offending cylinder(s) will squirt out the coolant through the spark plug hole. Then it's time to get it fixed before trying to run again. Very likely you are in for new gasket at minimum, most likely need new heads as well. If you hydrolocked hard and bent anything, could be engine replacement time.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hate to say it but this is likely very bad. Never drive an overheating engine.

If you lost 3 liters of coolant! Where did it go? With no serpentine belt you have no water pump so my guess would be you severely overheated and warped a head causing a gasket to blow. The hot engine was able to burn the coolant as it entered the cylinders. When you restarted later the water pump did not move any coolant so the engine was able to run.

Now that the belt is back on and pump working, you ran the engine full of antifreeze and likely hydrolocked a cylinder. You'll know which one(s) are bad when you pull the plugs as it will likely be wet. Once all the plugs are out turn the engine by hand and the offending cylinder(s) will squirt out the coolant through the spark plug hole. Then it's time to get it fixed before trying to run again. Very likely you are in for new gasket at minimum, most likely need new heads as well. If you hydrolocked hard and bent anything, could be engine replacement time.

+1 on what he said unfortunately. I had a similar thing happen to my Ex, but it was the AC compressor pulley that seized. My wife kept driving it and luckely her friend told her to pull over. It did overheat, but not for very long. Luckely I had no damage. Sorry to hear about your problems!

Many thanks guys
Will pull the plugs and as you know it's a real PITA job.Will prepare myself for many skinned knuckles.
As to where the coolant went I see a lot of coolant residue all over the engine.I can only assume that some must have blown out through the rad cap but agree with you on the hydro lock .
Will keep my fingers crossed and keep you posted on progress.
Markn

Follow up .
Thought long and hard about the repair and decided that I honestly do not have the inclination and patience to do the job especially with the shortage of spares in South Africa.Have therefore sold the Exp to another Exp enthusiast here in Johannesburg.
This has been a great forum with a wealth of info and many thanks to all the members who provided valuable input.
May you all have a wonderful festive season and a blessed New Year

Markn

Back