• Register Today It's free!

making a 1st gen sport trac

2'91fords

Reaction score
City, State
los angeles
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer sport
well, i was trying to sell my '91 sport, but upon returning from vacation i found the back roof smashed from a fallen tree (thank god it missed my girlfriend's new mustang). the hatch, rear roof and driver's rear glass are smashed up pretty good. unfortunately, i only have liability insurance on her, i can't really sell it, and it isn't really worth having it fixed. here's the idea: cut the roof off behind the rear seat, remove the hatch and build a tailgate. anyone ever done this or seen a 1st gen sport like it? any pics, tips or info appreciated

it's been done a couple times

i'm actually in the process of building a tailgate for different reasons- i'll definitely post some pictures once i get that figured out

I have seen pictures of this done to a 4 door and it looks really good He his on the RRORC boards all of the time.

Alx over there has it done. I'll be doing the same but only once i get ready to cage it. You'll loose alot of strength without that part of the body so you'll need to make it up with a cage, or modifying a hatch like alx has done :)

Back