making rock sliders. bend pinchweld or not bend it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

making rock sliders. bend pinchweld or not bend it?

AlanGoering

Reaction score
City, State
oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
Ok, I took my running boards or whatever they are called off (metal steps with plastic over them.), that came stock on my 98 XLT. I have this burly around one inch tall pinch weld sticking down, and im thinking I should bend it flat so I can get my slider closer to the lines of the body under the door. Are there any things wrong with doing that? Its not a for looks thing, I go wheeling as often as I can, so that one inch of extra clearance is completely worth bending that thing down for. Any info would help me. Like opinons on what you would like to see in a slider on a 98. I think im going with the base of the slider rectangle and doing a tube that sticks up and out. Thanks

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/796765

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is what I did with mine :thumbsup:

With a body-on-frame truck, like an Explorer, the rocker panel provides very little support for the body. So, bending that pinch weld back (or forward) or cutting it off and re-welding should have no effect (with the exception of giving your sliders 1" more ground clearance).

I bent my pinchweld up in the locations needed to clear the 2 mounts and I know that Rick bend the entire length of it up to clear his sliders.

Thanks for the info, all I need to do now is quit being so lazy and make them. The bad part is I have to clean the garage enough to be able to make them in there (bender bolted to floor or I would make them out front).

Jefe said:
I bent my pinchweld up in the locations needed to clear the 2 mounts and I know that Rick bend the entire length of it up to clear his sliders.
I did the same thing, except I have three mounts on the frame.

I have also seen the pinch weld used as part of the slider support, spread the load. and it works fine.

Back