• Register Today It's free!

Manual 4x4 hub Q's !!

Willhelm

Reaction score
City, State
Cape Cod, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 2door
Hi guys, I've been having some difficulties with my push-button 4x4 and have been reading up on the manual hub conversion on the site. It doesnt look like a hard procedure at all, I was just wondering since the 4x4 is being converted to manual is it just engage the hubs and youre in 4x4? are there any need for the push-buttons above the radio inside the car, or do you need those to switch it into 4 low?. My plan was to take the 4x4 panel out of the dash and replace it with a tranny/oil temp gauge once converted to manual. Thank you guys so much for the help!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes you will still need the push button swith on the dash to engage 4 wheel drive, the manual hubs just engage and disenagae the axle manaually

ok so if converted the 4x4 wont wont unless the manual hubs are turned into 4x4 even if the button is pushed? If the hubs are still in 2x4 then it wont go into 4x4 unless the hubs are on, even if the button is pressed? Do the manual hubs elimate the need of the unreliable shift motor? and if i want to get out of 4x4 all i do is get out and turn the hubs off without and messing with the buttons? sorry about all the Qs im just trying to understand this as much as possible :D

Like 91exploreron37 said -- you do need to keep your 4x4 switches in the dash! That is what engages the transfer case into 4-wheel drive.

What the manual hubs do is lock the front axles to the hubs so that power can get to the front tires. You need both the transfer case, which splits power from the transmission to the front and rear gears AND the hubs, which transmit the power to the wheels.

With your auto hubs, there was a ratchet mechanism that transmitted the power to the wheels when the transfer case sent power to the axles. Most of the time, that automatic ratchet system doesn't grab well and you get a lot of slipping instead of power being transmitted. Manual hubs make a positive connection between the axles and wheels, which means that they will get power if the transfer case is sending it to the front axle.

Here is a graphical explanation of what happens in a 4x4 vehicle that ought to make things clearer.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/four-wheel-drive.htm

sweet , i believe that clears everything up. Thanks again :thumbsup:

Back