manual hub conversion with junkyard parts | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

manual hub conversion with junkyard parts

,..you Are Correct..;)
Posted via Mobile Device

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my drive line spines but the cv axles dont spine is it inside the pumpkin and is it hard to do. i also got manaul hubs and i thought it was them but now i think it all around a piece of **** what do i do to fix my 4x4 cause i need it any helpers out there

plenty of helpers. Try explorer 911 forum. Sounds like hubs could be it to me. Shift motors are common culprits too. Post your own thread and others will help out.

...You can also find the hubs cheaper at a junk yard as stated in the title of this thread...

so what all vehicles can we take the hubs off of? there aren't any heeps in the yards here....

91-94 Explorers. I don't know about Rangers though. I think they used a Dana 28 instead of a 35. Bronco II's had manual hubs but I don't know if those would work.

...93-97 Ranger's use the same hub as the 91-94 X's...I believe if you look thru this thread it may mention all the vehicles you can snag them from...;)

Only rangers with 4.0s have a 35 I think. Jeeps won't work unless they have the aftermarket hub kit.

...93-97 Ranger's use the same hub as the 91-94 X's...I believe if you look thru this thread it may mention all the vehicles you can snag them from...;)

...2.3L ranger here with stock Dana 35 and 4.10 gears..;)

Hmmm. My 2.3L Ranger doesn't have a front axle :dunno:

I would say that you need to figure out what a Dana 35 looks like or stick to rangers with a 4.0 and Explorers. Tbars- did all the 93-97 4x4 rangers have the 35? I have not seen a Pre 93 ranger sporting a 35 unless it had a 4.0. I do know there are some hybrid 28/35s out there too and thier hubs should work as they are a 35 with a 28 center section if I remember right.

Ok, I reread your first post. I guess that is an affirmative on the 93-97 rangers.

...Yes, mines a hybrid...but the hubs are the same...;)

..."The Dana 28 was replaced in 1990 with the Dana 35 TTB as Ford introduced the 4.0L engine to replace the 2.9L. The Dana 28 didn't completely go away though. A version of it found its way in to the 1990 - 1997 Ford Aerostar AWD mini-vans. It also found it's way back in to the 4-cylinder (and some 3.0L V6) Ford Rangers from 1993 - 1997. The 1993 - 1997 Rangers can be deceiving. Some owners believe because they have a 1990 or newer Ranger that they have a Dana 35. Although their 1993 - 1997 4-cylinder Ranger may look like it has a Dana 35, it's really a Dana 35 housing using Dana 28 components."

...Yes, mines a hybrid...but the hubs are the same...;)

..."The Dana 28 was replaced in 1990 with the Dana 35 TTB as Ford introduced the 4.0L engine to replace the 2.9L. The Dana 28 didn't completely go away though. A version of it found its way in to the 1990 - 1997 Ford Aerostar AWD mini-vans. It also found it's way back in to the 4-cylinder (and some 3.0L V6) Ford Rangers from 1993 - 1997. The 1993 - 1997 Rangers can be deceiving. Some owners believe because they have a 1990 or newer Ranger that they have a Dana 35. Although their 1993 - 1997 4-cylinder Ranger may look like it has a Dana 35, it's really a Dana 35 housing using Dana 28 components."

...Try finding the correct parts at an auto parts store...:rolleyes:

...These are known as the Dana 35 Hybrid...They are easily spotted by the smooth Dana 35 housing as opposed to a ribbed (standard) Dana 35 housing...

...In keeping with the question that was asked, these hybrids and all other 93-97 rangers use the same hubs as you can find on the 91-94 Explorers..;)

Excellent thread. Thanks for sharing. :)

will 1991 or 1992 explorer doors fit a 1991 or 1992 ranger?

where can i buy these parts? at autozone?

will this work on the 2nd gen explorer also?

...Sorry...:(

...This will work with first gen Explorers (91-94) and Rangers (90-97) only...

thanks tbars4.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great thread doing it my self right now

I am currently doing this conversion using 2 warn hubs off a 94 ranger I got lucky anf found in a jy in the south bronx. $150 for both wheel assemblies (outer?inner hub, caliper, rotor, spindle) they cut the differential behing the spindle @ the U-Joint. Anyhow this excellent thread http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122696 made this a breeze it is a tutorial for a front brake job but it has very detailed instruction and pics on taking out the auto hubs. I will post pics of my project later.

Back