wardbrandon28

Reaction score
City, State
New Orleans
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Navajo
i finally got the socket in i needed to take the auto hubs

DSCF1348.jpg

none of the auto stores had this one for the auto hubs, anyways when i took off the driver side nut i found it like this,

DSCF1345.jpg

DSCF1346.jpg

so i guess it was overtightend whenever it was put on? i dont really see how i coulda broke the nut like that,

o well anyways ive got my manual warn hubs on now and they look and work great

DSCF1347.jpg

:navajo:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats how a nut will look if you forget to take out the key first. Using the correct socket you can split the nut as it tries to turn over the key.

Yes, I've done that once..

~Mark

Nice man, how much did the plastic warns run you?

i found the hubs on ebay with everything i needed for changing it over for 117$ after shipping.

Thats how a nut will look if you forget to take out the key first. Using the correct socket you can split the nut as it tries to turn over the key.

Yes, I've done that once..

~Mark

Ooo well that makes sense.......Ooops, i found it odd it was so broken

I have always just used a big pair of channel locks for the auto hub nut. Comes off real easy when you take the key out. lol

The socket for the manual hub nuts is a must though.

yeah i easly found the manual socket, just about every auto parts store has them in stock,

i found the hubs on ebay with everything i needed for changing it over for 117$ after shipping.

Did they have any more? Can you link to the item?

I really need some manual hubs. And these look like they will be great for the light off roading I do.

Nice man, how much did the plastic warns run you?

Uhhhhh, wait a minute. Are they really plastic? For some reason that don't sound good.

Seriously, are they plastic? Or just steel painted black?

The actual hubs are metal but the knob is a plastic piece.

The actual hubs are metal but the knob is a plastic piece.

and prone to breakage... I would go for original FORD hubs - might be more expensive but if you are running large meats you'll be better off in the long run

By original, do you mean the automatic hubs the just about anyone who wheels removes right away?

~Mark

By original, do you mean the automatic hubs the just about anyone who wheels removes right away?

~Mark

by original I mean, original FORD manual hubs which were available. I think these were made by WARN but yet were a bit different than plastic hubs available from either WARN or Mile Marker.

ahh.. ok... for a second I though you mean the original auto hubs.

In all these years, I haven't heard much about the stock "ford" manual hubs being any better than the typical 29071 hubs.

I've been running the normal Warn 29071 hubs (nothing special) for years and so far I haven't broken when when wheeling.

I do plan on getting the 37780 hubs and keeping my 29071 as spares. That way I can stop carrying the stock autos as my spares when wheeling.

~Mark

I've got the 37780's. They feel SO much tougher than the other manuals I have. The stock Ford manual hubs suck just as much as the Warn 29071's... Bigger tires = big bang.

I actually managed to strip out the splines on one of my 37780's but Warn just sent me a new set. Gotta love the lifetime warranty.

by original I mean, original FORD manual hubs which were available. I think these were made by WARN but yet were a bit different than plastic hubs available from either WARN or Mile Marker.

the only ones ive ever seen were plastic knobs on the bronco IIs and other explorers ive seen in the junk yards i may look into ones without the plastic knobs eventually

I have the 37780's also. I have not had any problems with them. They feel solid and I've been in some really tough spots when wheeling lately. I'm running 33's right now but plan on moving up to 35's once these wear out.

So whats this talk about different hubs without a plastic knob?

Every single hub I have EVER seen for the d35 or d28, ranger/explorer/bronco 2 has had a plastic knob.

So whats this talk about different hubs without a plastic knob?

Every single hub I have EVER seen for the d35 or d28, ranger/explorer/bronco 2 has had a plastic knob.

x2 have never seen a premium hub with a metal knob or anything for the application stated above

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i was refering to what dre had said, saying there are some Origiana FORD manual hubs for the explorer that, i guess, have metal knobs? which it would make sense to want the metal knobs over plastic ones, i have never seen them either but im defanatly going to look and if i come across any i will get them to have an extra set. dosent hurt to look, but its probably one of those things where there were only a few made like that so they are hard to come by

Back