jtanderson_01

Reaction score
City, State
london ont
Year, Model & Trim Level
1987 ranger
right now i am currently working on a new project,
the 87 ranger conversion to 1997.
conversion of Interior part is complete and wired obd2. exterior lighting finished, gas tank sending unit also installed.
the 1997 ranger is the donor truck with a stick shift (manual tranny),
the 87 ranger is the one im building and using automatic 5r5ee.
i want to remove the manual tranny out of the picture and use the 5r5ee tranny instead.
the donor engine is the 4.0 liter currently with manual tranny attached to it.
my question is, the haynes manual only shows one schematic for ecm wiring for 1995 and newer. so does that mean i can use the ecm out of the donor 1997 ranger for my 5r5ee tranny even though its currently connected to the manual tranny now?
also what is a slush box? i read somewhere that i may need a piece of wire harness going to slush box?
the 5r5ee tranny has a harness attached to it.

there are also wiring changes, there are ALOT more wires going to a OBD -2 auto transmission then the 5 speed manual

You need the ECM from a 97 Ranger or Explorer (if its the SOHC 4.0L from Explorer, not avail in Ranger until 2001) for the auto trans along with the computer and transmission wiring harness

Is this a 4x4 or 2wd?
I personally would KEEP my 5 speed, unless you are confident the 97 auto is in good working order and you REALLY want to keep it

You can user a floor shifter from a 95-98 mustang to control that transmission if you want to avoid the column shift conversion

thanks for the info.

its a 2 wheel drive, no transfer case. the 5r5ee tranny is freshly rebuilt after 189,000 kms.
so what you're saying is that i dont have to change the engine wiring harness,
just plug my engine harness to the new auto computer from a 1997 ranger 4.0l.
My tranny (5r5ee) has a harness attached to it, tranny and wiring are out of a 98 ranger 4.0 l.
would i have to get a new tranny harness with the 97 computer? or can i use the tranny harness from the 1998.
thanks for the help.

Back