• Register Today It's free!

Buying used ECM question

Jon94

Reaction score
City, State
Guilford, Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport
This may be a dumb question, but - if I buy a used ECM and install it in my 99 Explorer, will the dealer have any problem with programming the PATS? Would a reman ECM from a parts store be easier to program and be less likely to run into problems when programming? I just don't want to buy a used one and find out the dealer can't program it, and then have the truck stuck at the dealer for an extra three days while a reman ECM is shipped out, and deal with trying to return the used one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I do not think buying the ECM used is the best way to go. I am a supporter of my local salvage yard and anyone else selling used parts, but the ECM is one of the parts I would never buy used. This could give you infinite problems, both immediately and down the line, and would be extremely difficult to troubleshoot. Whether the dealer can program the used part maybe the least of the problems.

I believe you can get a new one from auto parts store, delivered very quickly, and already programmed for your VIN number.

Good luck whichever you chose,

Mr. Alligator

I do not think buying the ECM used is the best way to go. I am a supporter of my local salvage yard and anyone else selling used parts, but the ECM is one of the parts I would never buy used. This could give you infinite problems, both immediately and down the line, and would be extremely difficult to troubleshoot. Whether the dealer can program the used part maybe the least of the problems.

I believe you can get a new one from auto parts store, delivered very quickly, and already programmed for your VIN number.

Good luck whichever you chose,

Mr. Alligator

The PCM's sold in auto parts stores are not new. They may be reprogrammed (IDK) and are no doubt tested, but they're no new, so I guess you;d consider them re-manufactured. Many times a chip has to be removed from your original PCM and inserted in the replacement (which will be missing this chip). I have no idea what this chip does, but I assume it has to do with the vehicle's identification or personality.

The PCM's sold in auto parts stores are not new. They may be reprogrammed (IDK) and are no doubt tested, but they're no new, so I guess you;d consider them re-manufactured. Many times a chip has to be removed from your original PCM and inserted in the replacement (which will be missing this chip). I have no idea what this chip does, but I assume it has to do with the vehicle's identification or personality.

I'd say if you can find a PCM in the salvage yard which has the same part number and if the vehicle has a similar build date you'd be okay. In my experience the PCM is a pretty reliable part unless something else damages it somehow. In the case of a PATS equipped Explorer if you can get the key(s) from the donor vehicle you will not have key programming issue.

In my experience, if you found an explorer with the same specs as yours, do the the PCM change is no problem at all. (If I was able to do that in Chile, my country, I guess that will be more easy for you upthere, guys... a lot!)

Recently, I fried my PCM.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...ashing-on-dash-nightmare.448778/#post-3553961
I have located an identical explorer XLT in an junkyard.
I taked from it the PCM, the PATS module and the ignition key.
Swapped the chip to the key, and voila! all fine, so far.

I'd say if you can find a PCM in the salvage yard which has the same part number and if the vehicle has a similar build date you'd be okay. In my experience the PCM is a pretty reliable part unless something else damages it somehow. In the case of a PATS equipped Explorer if you can get the key(s) from the donor vehicle you will not have key programming issue.

Koda, I still don't know about that. I certainly agree that you have great insight with issues related to these vehicles. And I really appreciate your service to this Forum. But I just can't see the value of a used or salvage PCM, especially if you have access to a tested, inspected, and warrantied "remanufactured" unit.

For starters, much of the time it is unclear as to why the scrap vehicle was in the salvage yard. It could have been due to a serious electrical issue (even a bad PCM), or due to vehicle flooding, or due to any number of things that could damage the PCM??? And even if that is not the case, it seems very possible that just sitting at a salvage yard for an unspecified length of time, often exposed to weather, could impact the PCM by itself. And I have had two vehicles, including my 1997 Explorer, that had PCMs go bad. And every time I had a PCM go out, I only was only able diagnose it by testing every other item I could think of. For me, it was a difficult and somewhat costly issue to diagnose. Finally, the remanufactured PCM unit is not a relatively expensive item.

Given concerns about the integrity of any PCM from a scrap vehicle, the potential affect on the PCM of sitting at a salvage yard, the difficulty of diagnosing any issue related to a defective PCM, and lack of a really substantial benefit to using a salvage PCM, I personally would go the remanufactured route.

Just my thoughts,

Mr. Alligator

This may be a dumb question, but - if I buy a used ECM and install it in my 99 Explorer, will the dealer have any problem with programming the PATS? Would a reman ECM from a parts store be easier to program and be less likely to run into problems when programming? I just don't want to buy a used one and find out the dealer can't program it, and then have the truck stuck at the dealer for an extra three days while a reman ECM is shipped out, and deal with trying to return the used one.
As far as I know, the advanced version of Forscan (free with registration) lets you program your own ECM/PCM, even if you don't have any matched keys. Here is the link that someone posted a couple weeks ago: http://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=839
May be worth trying before spending the megabucks at the dealership (and even more bucks for towing it to there)

Mr. Alligator,
Computer's in general are pretty reliable items. It's not like they wear out. Frankly, I'm usually suspicious any time I hear someone going down the "bad PCM" road unless you've done something to fry it (as jmvb did). While it is true some vehicles may have been flood victims, the PCM is well sealed and protected even if the vehicle has sat in a salvage yard with no hood on it for a year.

The OP doesn't say what engine his '99 has, but I think there's a pretty decent chance it's a SOHC V6. If that's the case, the majority of Explorer's you see in salvage yards are SOHC V6's with blown engines or transmissions, not because they had bad PCM's. Yes there's a risk associated with any salvage yard part, but most salvage yard offer a 30 day warranty on used parts (sometimes at a small additional cost).

Maybe I'm just more frugal (AKA cheap) when it comes to sending my money unnecessarily. I've often bought used parts to repair my fleet, but only when it makes sense. I'd never buy used wear items or things like alternators, starters.

Just my humble opinion. You and the OP should do what you're comfortable doing. :)

Well be it I was in your position, I'd get a JY PCM and reprogram it. Always whenever I buy one, I just look at the female connections, aka the harness, and if there isn't anything wrong like burnt pins or something like that, I go for it. It's my understanding the dealer can program it anyhow, because if someone loses all their keys, the dealer has to reprogram it for a new PATS module. The biggest thing is, in a 99, they have the PATS keys, and the PATS module has to be matched with the PCM, basically, if you get a JY PCM, it won't start without being reprogrammed, then it'll start.

A parts store PCM, which we had to purchase a few months ago for a truck that has an odd engine for this area, is just a repair/rebuild, the guy at the counter said they take them in, fix what's wrong, test it, and when it's needed, program it and send it out.

Main question is, what killed the original? These things don't just die, they always have to be provoked.

If it's a 98-01 most locksmiths can program your original keys to your new or used pcm. After 2002 I'm pretty sure it's a dealer only thing or unless you have access to module programming and a "J" box.

The OP doesn't say what engine his '99 has, but I think there's a pretty decent chance it's a SOHC V6.
It's a 4.0 OHV.
The biggest thing is, in a 99, they have the PATS keys, and the PATS module has to be matched with the PCM, basically, if you get a JY PCM, it won't start without being reprogrammed, then it'll start.
I know about the PATS, and I know that the dealer has to program the PATS. That was the basis of my original question.
Main question is, what killed the original? These things don't just die, they always have to be provoked.
See the thread I made about my problem, and you'll see why the ECM is most likely dead:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/wont-start-no-spark.449384/
Scroll down to the last post to see my latest update.

Well, 4.0 OHV's are not as common in the alvage yard, so you might need to buy a reman PCM after-all.

I just thought I know I have a 99 OHV auto pcm in my storage somewhere from a V8 swap I did. It was out of a good running truck too. Let me know if you need me to look for it. I'd let it go for $40+ shipping

Well, 4.0 OHV's are not as common in the alvage yard, so you might need to buy a reman PCM after-all.
I found one on eBay with the same part number and calibration code as mine for $18.99 with free shipping.

I found one on eBay with the same part number and calibration code as mine for $18.99 with free shipping.

Cool, can't beat that price. I don't suppose the seller had a ignition key to go with it.

Back