Transmission swap manual to auto ?'s | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission swap manual to auto ?'s

95purpleranger

Reaction score
City, State
Clinton, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4
Hello I have a 95 ranger 4x4 w/4.0 v6 5spd I use this truck as a daily driver and am tired of shifting gears all day every day. How straight forward of a swap is it to put an auto in it and what all do I nee to get before I tear it apart. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will need several things from your automatic donor:
clutch block off plate
transmission wiring harness
brake pedal assembly
3 position clutch switch bypass
trucks computer (for an auto)
flexplate
starter
transmission of course
kick down cable and any linkage
trans cooler
trans cooler lines
Column shifter
shifter cable

and more.
Basically these are all the parts installed at the factory that vary from a 5 speed or auto truck.

You might consider selling your Ranger and getting an auto if you are not used to doing this sort of work.
I coverted my truck from a 5 speed to an automatic years ago, for basically the same reasons. Stop and go traffic, daily driving, and also towing and 4x4ing.
took me 3 days to do the full conversion, took me about 6 months to collect all the parts (harder to get for an 88)

Alot of people on this forum have gone from auto to 5 speed and many other transmission conversions. Doing some research/search can really paint you a clear picture of whats involved.

What do you use the truck for? PLans for the truck future?
You do have some options on what transmission you switch to.

You'll also need to replace the entire wiring assembly to the motor and tranny. They are all in one assembly. SELL THE TRUCK AND BUY ANOTHER IS THE ONLY ADVICE.

"They are all in one assembly. SELL THE TRUCK AND BUY ANOTHER IS THE ONLY ADVICE."

This is not true.

the changes in the wiring harness to the trans take pace in the harness that connects the main PCM (computer) to the transmission.
The wires from the PCM that send the signal to the trans shift solenoids (auto) should be in the main harness and run over to where the trans harness connects.
You can simply check the pinout on the PCM plug and confirm there are pins in the locations for the auto trans solenoids.

When I built my 4.0L conversion harness I stripped out 2 wires because my truck was a 5 speed. When I converted from 5 speed to A4LD I had to add these wires back in.
Ford did not build two different harness', at least not in 93-94.
The 5 speed trans harness just simply does not continue these wires down to the trans.
So by getting the auto trans wiring harness you will be able to plug it into the computer harness in the truck and swap out the PCM = done.
I have never done a 95 however so this would need to be confirmed.

You are correct with the buying a new truck thing though. This is not just a simple swap, yes 98% of it is bolt in and having the everything you need from the donor makes it go quickly. But for most people the best option would just be to buy the truck you want.
But where is the fun in that?

Lots of $$$$$ go into it, worth the price of the truck?????

Back