• Register Today It's free!

Manual troubles

Cable

Reaction score
City, State
Dalton, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport
I have a '97 Sport 5-speed, just got it about a month ago after my '95 was totaled in a wreck (not my fault :mad: ). Lately I've been having trouble getting the truck to go into gear sometimes, whether its first gear or reverse. My old on did this as well. Would a flush fix this? Im pretty much a newb at this. If so, how difficult is it to flush? Something my dad and I can do in the driveway? Thanks for all the help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not the tranny, it's the clutch ;)
For a temporary fix you can bleed the slave cylinder do a search around here, i'm sure there's a procedure somewhere. Eventually you'll have to replace the slave cylinder, and while you at it also the pressure plate, and clutch plate. Good luck!

Had the clutch replaced a few months ago in my '86 bronco II and cost over 700$, not cool when you're a poor college kid. Thanks for the info will try to bleed the slave cylinder this weekend.

I dig man...cost like 800 for my explorer to get done. And too was a poor college kid! :D

That's why i don't take my explorer to the shop anymore haha

We swapped out the manual in my 4x2 '92 XL sticker last year. Clutch plate, pressure plate, and slave cylinder were around $300 from advance auto parts. Took us a long weekend to get it done.

Just picked mine up tonight. Slave cylinder only, clutch was fine with only 24k miles on it and not worth replacing. $600, 500 in labor and 100 for the parts :/

Next time anything needs done I should have a house and a garage or at least access to a garage and I'm going to save myself $500.

Back