• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

MASS AIR SENSOR DIRTY

imp

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
59 Ranchero F250 D'Line
Symptoms: Not an Explorer, yes. .94 Mustang GT 5.0 HO. Lately, sluggish acceleration at mid-range ~ 2000 rpm, 2nd, 3rd gears, with half-throttle, given more, sudden surge of power. Idles fine. Starts fine.

So far: Replaced fuel filter first, after checking fuel pressure, which was OK at idle. This helped some, but sluggishness remained.

Thinking: Possible Throttle Position Sensor problem, but it's near brand-new off a brand-new Motorsport eng. Unlikely. Mass Air: Dirty? I've never opened one up that looked dirty to the naked eye, before. This time:

So, likely this critter is giving bad data. Everybody suggests "clean the Mass Air". Carb cleaner? Reluctant to blow hard-force compressed air on these tiny elements. Or should I replace the damned thing?
Looking into duct, there is evidence of dirt built up inside the sensor opening. HTH can dust be getting in? I have a K&N filter like this:

Everything duct-wise is good and tight, blue silicone rubber ducts. Could a K&N be improperly-made or something? Lot of dough tied up in the damned thing, not to mention, how much dust is eating away pistons & rings?
Any ideas, appreciated. Will clean, look for improvement in performance. imp

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

974X4BLACKSPORT

Reaction score
City, State
hudson
Year, Model & Trim Level
BLACK 1997 SPORT 4 BY 4
All yyou need is a can of "MASS AIR FLOW CLEANER", the rest is self exlpanitory.

Centaurus5.0

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
96'
Ditch the k&n and get a dry filter. Check you pcv.

This works for the mam..

serveimage

Reactions: imp

imp

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
59 Ranchero F250 D'Line
All yyou need is a can of "MASS AIR FLOW CLEANER", the rest is self exlpanitory.
@974X4BLACKSPORT
Do you happen to know what's in mass air flow cleaner? If you have some, would you be willing to look? I have lots of carb. cleaner, which is strong stuff, toluene, acetone, and methanol. I don't want to F. U. the sensor. imp

imp

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
59 Ranchero F250 D'Line
Ditch the k&n and get a dry filter. Check you pcv.

This works for the mam..

serveimage

@Centaurus5.0 I guess so far it's "clean the sensor". I wondered if anyone's experience with symptoms like mine got rid of them by cleaning it. What about an air jet? Harmful? imp

EDIT: "Ditch the k&n and get a dry filter." Here's what it looks like:

Filter is shoe-horned in. Bought car with a long pipe snaked into fenderwell, small K&N inside there, had to un-do inner fender skirt to even get at to service. ("cold air filter", BS). What sort of dry filter might work here? Is a dry conical made by anyone? Not knowledgeable. Thanks! imp

Centaurus5.0

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
96'
Yes, a meter that dirty will definitely cause what you're describing. I've heard people using carb/throttle body cleaner and compressed air with no ill effect but I've only ever used the meter specific cleaner.

Centaurus5.0

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
96'
Stock airbox with a wix/napa gold filter, but really anything other than an under hood open element and an oiled gauze filter..imo.

974X4BLACKSPORT

Reaction score
City, State
hudson
Year, Model & Trim Level
BLACK 1997 SPORT 4 BY 4
"CRC" is the same stuff I have, works good, dries fast, leaves NO residue, very important for MASS air flow sensors, dont use carb cleaner.

imp

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
59 Ranchero F250 D'Line
Stock airbox with a wix/napa gold filter, but really anything other than an under hood open element and an oiled gauze filter..imo.
@Centaurus5.0
First year of SN-95 platform, no idea exactly how the airbox looked, or fit in, it was gone when I bought the car. Also no idea how to fit anything else in there. I'll figure out something, if I find that K&N is letting dust through. imp

imp

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
59 Ranchero F250 D'Line
FIXED!

Cleaned MAF and drove over to Wally-World, got on it scaring the wife, but happy, car moves out like a raped-ape again! Thanks for all you guys' help! imp