MASS AIR SENSOR DIRTY | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MASS AIR SENSOR DIRTY

imp

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
59 Ranchero F250 D'Line
Symptoms: Not an Explorer, yes. .94 Mustang GT 5.0 HO. Lately, sluggish acceleration at mid-range ~ 2000 rpm, 2nd, 3rd gears, with half-throttle, given more, sudden surge of power. Idles fine. Starts fine.

So far: Replaced fuel filter first, after checking fuel pressure, which was OK at idle. This helped some, but sluggishness remained.

Thinking: Possible Throttle Position Sensor problem, but it's near brand-new off a brand-new Motorsport eng. Unlikely. Mass Air: Dirty? I've never opened one up that looked dirty to the naked eye, before. This time:

mass_a10.jpg

mass_a11.jpg

So, likely this critter is giving bad data. Everybody suggests "clean the Mass Air". Carb cleaner? Reluctant to blow hard-force compressed air on these tiny elements. Or should I replace the damned thing?
Looking into duct, there is evidence of dirt built up inside the sensor opening. HTH can dust be getting in? I have a K&N filter like this:

kn10.jpg

Everything duct-wise is good and tight, blue silicone rubber ducts. Could a K&N be improperly-made or something? Lot of dough tied up in the damned thing, not to mention, how much dust is eating away pistons & rings?
Any ideas, appreciated. Will clean, look for improvement in performance. imp

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All yyou need is a can of "MASS AIR FLOW CLEANER", the rest is self exlpanitory.

Ditch the k&n and get a dry filter. Check you pcv.

This works for the mam..

static.flickr.com%2F3646%2F3393727887_58eccb1d9a_o.jpg

Reactions: imp

All yyou need is a can of "MASS AIR FLOW CLEANER", the rest is self exlpanitory.
@974X4BLACKSPORT
Do you happen to know what's in mass air flow cleaner? If you have some, would you be willing to look? I have lots of carb. cleaner, which is strong stuff, toluene, acetone, and methanol. I don't want to F. U. the sensor. imp

Ditch the k&n and get a dry filter. Check you pcv.

This works for the mam..

static.flickr.com%2F3646%2F3393727887_58eccb1d9a_o.jpg

@Centaurus5.0 I guess so far it's "clean the sensor". I wondered if anyone's experience with symptoms like mine got rid of them by cleaning it. What about an air jet? Harmful? imp

EDIT: "Ditch the k&n and get a dry filter." Here's what it looks like:

mustan11.jpg

Filter is shoe-horned in. Bought car with a long pipe snaked into fenderwell, small K&N inside there, had to un-do inner fender skirt to even get at to service. ("cold air filter", BS). What sort of dry filter might work here? Is a dry conical made by anyone? Not knowledgeable. Thanks! imp

Yes, a meter that dirty will definitely cause what you're describing. I've heard people using carb/throttle body cleaner and compressed air with no ill effect but I've only ever used the meter specific cleaner.

Stock airbox with a wix/napa gold filter, but really anything other than an under hood open element and an oiled gauze filter..imo.

"CRC" is the same stuff I have, works good, dries fast, leaves NO residue, very important for MASS air flow sensors, dont use carb cleaner.

Stock airbox with a wix/napa gold filter, but really anything other than an under hood open element and an oiled gauze filter..imo.
@Centaurus5.0
First year of SN-95 platform, no idea exactly how the airbox looked, or fit in, it was gone when I bought the car. Also no idea how to fit anything else in there. I'll figure out something, if I find that K&N is letting dust through. imp

FIXED!

Cleaned MAF and drove over to Wally-World, got on it scaring the wife, but happy, car moves out like a raped-ape again! Thanks for all you guys' help! imp

Back