Matt's '92/'99 4X4 V8/4R70W swap! | Page 47 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Matt's '92/'99 4X4 V8/4R70W swap!

Vehicle: 1992 forest green Ford Explorer 4X4
PICT1418.jpg
(<Frikin Sweet)

Drivetrain: '99 GT-40P 5.0(4.9)L 302----4R70W Automatic
1221256093.jpg

Well i got my engine so i guess its time to start a project thread! The timeline on this is pretty loose. but as soon as possible cause the ole 4.0 is making wierd noises.

EDIT: DO NOT be STUPID like me! Don't get a 2wd drivetrain to go into a 4wd vehicle! The transmission output shaft length is different and will require a full trans teardown to retrofit. Luckily one of the other awesome members of the forum has the parts I need to convert. But you may not be so lucky. I doubt most junkyards would sell you Just the shaft and housing. Would rather you buy the whole transmission.

Plans:
Full teardown and rebuild
Keeping the gt-40's
New gaskets,pistons,cam,bearings,lifters, the works.
Maybe new crank
maybe strokin it
build for future forced induction
Transfer case: Hhhhhhmmmmmmm... maybe bw1354(dont wanna) or 4406 if i can fit it between the frame rails
plans will definitely evolve as we go along

here the pics

1221334906.jpg

1221335383.jpg

1221551771.jpg

1221335658.jpg

cant wait to get this thing runnin!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay, that sounds like you have a 98 engine/trans/wiring, and a 96 PCM. If that's the case, then the wiring of all but the PCM matches. The PCM is meant to be with 96/97 wiring etc, so you still need to confirm the wire changes between the years. Don't change the PCM, unless you want to deal with the harder issue of the PATS.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Thought pats only stopped you from starting the car?

Yes, and you don't want to have to add that do you? I hope to do a conversion like you have, for my 91 Mark VII some day. I'll use the 96/97 PCM like you have, the PATS isn't really worth adding to a vehicle.

ok never mind I've been reading up on the pats. I thought it was a resistor system which is very easy to bypass. But it's a transponder system. Not so easy.

I wish I had 300$ for an xcal.

True Eric, I think that would allow him to not even have the PATS module in place. I'd ask James to be sure though.

The re pinning of a connector isn't hard at all, but first you need to know which wires are different in the connector.

The problem is I have no room behind my intake.

To get to that connector and remove it I'll probly have to take the intake back off again.

No yeah he's definitely gonna tune it later but I have no money now.

Okay, so that connector behind the intake is out, then that leaves the main big one on top, and the trans connector. I don't know how the wires changed up above the trans, I haven't seen those diagrams before. The small trans connector chart has been posted many times. That's why others are working with that one, but those are cases where the PCM matched the harness wiring. Yours is different, so it may or may not be as easy as doing the wiring at the trans.

It would be best to be sure, and compare the wiring of the PCM connector between years. Find out where the change occurred above the trans, then you can see where to do it for yours.

Ok guys quik response If possible.

I just realized that I'm getting oxy sensor and trans solenoid codes cause I haven't hooked then up to a fuse.

What will the symptoms be if I'm useing a '96 computer and the harness is after those wiring changes?

Will it not shift? Shift into second when it should first?

Ford moved around 2-3 wires in the harness and trans for 98 on. I believe one is a shift wire(there are only two(binary pattern)), and a power wire is illuminated, there were two.

It should not function properly at all, so don't try it until the wiring is right. The PCM can sense those shift wire signals when they aren't working. I tried searching for them last night for a short while, and only found a description.

The easiest way to follow what is going on is to find the diagram which shows a picture/drawing of the trans connectors, for each type. Once you find that, in a minute you will see what the colors are that need to be found and moved.

That's the non picture chart I did find. The one I was looking for is much easier to follow. That link to Section's thread may do it, I was hoping to find the better visual depictions.

Is the dtrs gonna be a problem too?

No, that just needs to match the trans, so you are good there. That sensor is an issue if you need to replace it, because aftermarket brands are often bad when new. I got that from a guy who builds the 4r's and torque converters. He often buys those from Autozone and tests them. He buys several at a time and returns the bad ones. They are fairly reliable in use, so keep yours if it works. I got one with several aftermarket parts and a kit, but went ahead and bought a new Ford part. So I have the spare OEM part and the aftermarket part.

I think only that wiring harness issue is stopping the trans from being right. Without the chart I keep mentioning you don't know where the wires need to be moved to in one of those connectors. I ran across that chart at least twice 2-3 months ago. I was searching for guidance on building a strong 4R trans, so I'm not sure where I found it. I'll try to look some more later.

Ok but didn't they change it from a resistance based system to a bank of switches? Or does the computer not deal with that?

I found pinout daigrams before and after the change for crown Vic based platforms. But it doesn't help me much cause I need to know the computer changes.

So I have my PCM diagram for a '98. And inh gave me one for a '96.

If the DTRS change doesn't afect the computer then I can use those two diagrams to figure out the changes.

Also based on the article I got the crown Vic diagrams from. The symptoms of using parts that don't match (ie, before and after change parts mixed.) is the trans will be stuck in second gear at maximum line pressure.

The DTRS/MLP sensor needs to match the trans, and yours came with it, so it's fine. There wasn't a change of the PCM of how those worked from what I read. Ford improved the quality of the sensors. The early models had no water sealing, they corroded. The 98+ versions I think are just a better matched part with other trans changes. What did you read about that, because I don't think it matters? I can point you to the TCCOA sites that are the best for the 4R70W information, I joined there recently.

Did you find the picture diagram I referred to? It shows the outline of the actual connector on the trans, it's not square but has a narrow top. If you find that picture then you know where the pins moved around in the connector. Since you have a different PCM as the harness model, you need to also know if the function stayed the same for the PCM pinouts. If they stayed the same, then you are good right now. I had not read of someone swapping the harness versus the PCM.

So how do those PCm diagrams compare? Are the locations of the functions the same? Use the diagram that Section made in his thread to identify those trans functions.

Back