• Register Today It's free!

Matty's 2003 XLT Transform

00BigMattyC00

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer XLT
So I joined this forum about a month ago and have been getting some great ideas, great hints and tips and I enjoy it alot.

Today I received a lighted hitch and some tail lights to start my transform. I always liked this explorer because there are not alot like it by me. It is a 2003 Ford Explorer XLT, white with black trim. I basically want to end up having this thing almost all black/white. I've got a nice small pioneer single bay stereo and a 8"bazooka tube with a 250W alpine (now broken) and am waiting to upgrade to 2 12" subs and 1000w amp.

So for my first post I have my first baby steps. Switched out the old red tail lights with some smoked out lights and added a nice lighted FORD logo hitch cover. I am waiting for some clear front corners to come in and I am also looking into getting some beefier tires to put on the stock rims to fill the fender gap a bit. Eventually Im gonna give it some lift and width and re-detail the entire exterior.

BEFORE

FordExplorerTransform001.jpg

AFTER

FordExplorerTransform002.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks good so far :thumbsup:

Got my new corners in for the front...take a look!

IMG_0535_zpsf5954e1c.jpg

IMG_0536_zps5d9dd4cc.jpg

Next up is a paint detail, bigger rubbers, and some steel tube running boards..

Looking good;)

Are you going to paint the wheels(plastidip) or leave them as is?

Great question!! I was thinking about painting them black and just getting to rubber....

Then I was thinking "I really like em and might keep em stock"

Now I am thinking whether or not I should lift it and put some nice big rims and all weather/terrain tires with the rims being powdercoat black and chrome

Those factory rims are 16's correct?

A common size for 16" rims are 265/75/16's if you don't lift it. That will fill out the fenderwells nicely and give it a "tough" look.

I'm thinking about using plasti dip on my rims(as a base) and then painting them for fun. Figure I can get an idea on what color I like before sending them off to get powerdercoated in the Spring.

Yeah I have seen the rims I have on mine plasti dipped and they just look too fake. I kind of like the look they have. I have been looking into some 265-75-16s

Well Im going in this weekend, Dipping all the trim (around the doors and fenders and the handles as well, dark black plastidip type coating [my buddy opened a nice custom shop pics of what some stuff they do looks like at http://www.facebook.com/dipfactory.ny?fref=ts ] ) and I am also having them coat on some stripes. Also got new decals coming for the rear quarter and new piano black pillars because mine are fading.

a black mesh grille would look sweet and black fender flares

fender flares meaning paint them black the look faded i did mine in just black bumber / trim spray paint you can find at any auto parts store or even walmart

Here's stock wheels with plasti dip.
20130113_160311_zpsfd525b59.jpg

Yea I'm painting the flares from the factory gray to the black dip coat. Definitely gonna change the grille

2004- that's what I might do and keep the center caps chrome.

the rims look sweet good job on the plasti dip i wanna plasti dip mine i just used wheel paint to do em black ill jus used aircraft paint remover and re do it with plasti dip

Got my paint stuff done

BEFORE AND AFTER OF THE HOOD

sidebyside_zps92521a6f.jpg

Kept the running boards plain because I am gonna get powdercoat steel ones. This is to show the difference in the original trim (runningboards) and the new color (door trim). It is a subtle change but looks awesome overall

FordExplorerTransform004_zps0b095ac9.jpg

My baby in her glory

FordExplorerTransform005_zps697b470c.jpg

Now all I gotta do is get the white paint touched up and the new pillar stickers I got that are piano black on there. Some Fx4 stickers and get the pinstriping off and all the paint will b done

Been taking if off road as much as I can setup like it is. Doing a body/suspension lift and new shoes soon. Gonna end up being my offroader for hunting/recreation. I just enjoy racing stripes. Ever since I was little my dads charger was black with white stripes similar to the scheme I put on mine. Ever since then its always been stripes for me haha

If you take a look in my sig at my old 3rd gen lifted it may give you an idea what yours might look like since mine was white as well. I did a spacer and body lift and stuck 33" terra grapplers on it. Your truck is looking good... Will look even better lifted with some new rubber :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you take a look in my sig at my old 3rd gen lifted it may give you an idea what yours might look like since mine was white as well. I did a spacer and body lift and stuck 33" terra grapplers on it. Your truck is looking good... Will look even better lifted with some new rubber :thumbsup:

I've been drooling over those beach pics since I signed up here a month or two ago. I love that truck man you did an amazing job!

PS What body lift did you use?

Back