• Register Today It's free!

Maybe start?

MDSK440

Reaction score
City, State
N. Augusta, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
"97 XLT
I bought a 97 Explorer XLT 4.0 SOHC with 110,000 miles for 750 bucks. Of course I had to rebuild the engine. What a job. Anyway the engine now has 1500 miles. The check engine light came last Mon., Sat.the wife drove the suv all day and parked it that evening. Ball pract. Sun. ,It doesn't start. Monday after work I was going to start trouble shooting. Tried key first, it started , drove around block,Tuesday at noon, it would not start. I replaced the crankshaft sensor.(sugested by a mech.) It started, but will it tomorrow? The trouble code is PO455. Any suggestions?

Okay I don't know much about rebuilding the engines but I looked it up and p0455 comes up as "evaporative emission (evap) system leak detected. This could be a line somewhere between your fuel tank and the purge up by the engine, or it could be as simple as your gas cap being not tight enough. Basically there is not enough pressure being held in the tank when it self tests. As far as I am aware that should not make it not start though.

hope I helped some

George

Cranks but won't start?

I replaced the crank sensor. It starts everytime now. I'm trying to work out the trouble code PO455 (EVAP leak).What I,m noticing is that when you rev the motor the rpm goes down to 1000 then after a couple seconds drops to around 600. It seems the motor tries to pick back up, but it doesn't. Just stays around 600. All the research I have found so far on the EVAP system is to check charcoal canister, hoses , ends and the VMP. couln not find any leaks. About the only thing I couldn't check is the crankcase baffle. Its located under the lower intake. This being part of the vacuum system, would this cause the EVAP to display a leak? ie...vacuum leak ; I did replace the gas cap. Don't know if it helped.

Back