• Register Today It's free!

Maybe the fuel pump?

ericautopart

Reaction score
City, State
Jersey Shore
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 5.0L AWD
Just want some input. Yesterday I backed the truck into a garage to load it up w/ a Dana 60 rear diff. Loaded it and went to start the truck. Nothing. Then tried again..it sputtered and giving it gas wouldn't do anything. Just sputtered..hardly. Shut it down and tried to re start it again and nothing this time. No fuel pump sound either. My guy that was there is a mechanic, he crawled underneath and wacked it with a hammer. Started right up and ran perfect. Is this a sign the fuel pump is ready to take a dump?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What did he wack with a hammer?

Not sure, it was under the driver side, just in front of the rear wheel. I was more in a rush to get out of there, so I didn't ask too many questions.

could be the FP relay under the hood.
the pump is in the tank itself, and would not be able to directly smack the pump from underneath.

when turning the key to ON, did you happen to listen for the relay to click?

Next time it does it, if it does, you need to check the fuel pressure and see what you have. I'm not sure what he hit with a hammer but I hope it wasnt the tank, lol.

could be the FP relay under the hood.
the pump is in the tank itself, and would not be able to directly smack the pump from underneath.

when turning the key to ON, did you happen to listen for the relay to click?

Any idea where under the hood, or is it loud enough to hear from anywhere..

He wacked the tank to wake up the pump..it was a rubber mallet he used though so no harm done. I hear this job is a PITA. I'm going to get it done somewhere but sounds expensive. :)

Any idea where under the hood, or is it loud enough to hear from anywhere..

it'll be with the rest of the fuses and relays under the hood, on the driver's side near the firewall.
you should be able to hear it from the drivers seat with the window or door open and hood popped up.

if all else fails, there's another relay for something (can't remember what?) that could be swapped with the FP relay.

The fuel pump actually isn't that bad of a job if the truck isn't too rusty. I did one on my 95 Sport. Took me about 2-4 hours roughly (not quite sure since I did it over two days, on the ground in the pouring rain at a friends house since he owned it at the time) Hardest part was getting the lines off. As recommended elsewhere, get the metal tools, as the plastic ones are a pain. I have the plastic ones, and I got them to work, but the metal ones would be much better. If you have access to a Motorcycle jack, get it as it will make lowering the tank easier.

I replaced my pump recently. My tank was completely full, so I didn't want to lower it. Ended up cutting a hole in the floor and replacing the pump from inside the truck. I found a few write ups here that explained what to do. Worked great, and was easier than figuring out how/where to drain the tank.

He wacked the tank to wake up the pump..it was a rubber mallet he used though so no harm done. I hear this job is a PITA. I'm going to get it done somewhere but sounds expensive. :)

I HIGHLY recommend cutting a hole inside the truck to do the fuel pump. I did mine that way and it was SO easy. I swap fuel pumps now in 15 mins. So when my junk yard special fuel pump dies I can just get another one and slap it in.

I recently dropped the tank in my X. Not too bad of a job. No need to disco the lines if you can get the truck off the ground enough. In my Mounty you can't hear the fuel pump running. Maybe if you were under there.

Banging the tank with a mallet, or even a hammer, is fine. Its a very common way to get a faulty pump to start up again. Most likely he hit the skid plate anyways.

It's the horn relay that can be swapped for the fuel pump relay.

Thanks for the input guys. It's goin in the shop tomorrow..I'm not working on this one myself. No time, and it's COLD out. I'm pretty confident it's the fuel pump, but I'm going to have him drop the tank.

hope its cheaper than the $1100 that ford quoted me for my fuel pump.. I did it myself for $100 and invested the other $1000.. :)

Well being in the business I'm in..I don't pay much for repairs. :) It's under the knife now. I'll have a total cost and labor time by tomorrow. Both rear shocks were blown so he's doing those too while it's there.

Back