Mechanic wants to replace my rear toe links for an alignment. Ripoff? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mechanic wants to replace my rear toe links for an alignment. Ripoff?

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 4.0 V6
I took my explorer to get an alignment and he claims he was unable to adjust the toe of my rear wheels because my toe links are rusted and he doesn't want to risk breaking them. They call them "lateral links" but I'm pretty sure lateral links are just the connection to the sway bar, and they were referring to toe links/rear tie rods.

The thing is they're quoting me for $244 in parts ($122 each) and $117 in labor. Now I couldn't find any guides here or on youtube for how to do this job for this vehicle, but it looks simple enough. And if I'm not mistaken these are the parts I need and they're only $70 for the whole pair. Anyone done this before that can confirm these are the parts that control the rear wheel toe alignment? Am I getting ripped off or what?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not a rip off, standard price I'd say.

You could certainly do this yourself, then just get an alignment.

Just adjust the new ones out as close to the originals.

Thanks, and are those the correct parts I need? https://www.1aauto.com/control-arm-toe-link-rear/i/1asfk04321?f=1095758&y=2003

It's just hard to believe the standard is charging three times as much for parts. I'd understand charging labor...

Don't compare apples to oranges. If yours is worn now I would hesitate to use a cheaper version.

The original Ford part is quite a bit higher. Your mechanic may just be pricing a higher quality part.

http://www.tascaparts.com/oe-ford/2l2z5a972aa

Shops probably paying $50 each per unit. That would be a steep markup. I'd expect them to charge $90 or so.

Their markup on parts covers warranties. They mark parts up as well as charge labor.

Done. Cool site, is there a reason why on that site even the "premium" brand rods are pretty cheap? The MOOG ES800560 and MOOG ES800562 together are only like $55 so as a pair it would be $110, still less than half the mechanic prices. Sounds like a good deal.

My mechanic mentioned this same problem during an safety inspection.
He wouldn't do the repair, and instead recommended a local tire shop.
With repair and new alignment, cost $400, taxes included.
Rip-off yes, but that's just the way it is.
With 170k miles, repairs are definitely starting to increase!

Back