• Register Today It's free!

starting problems big time

DoraXLT94

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, Co
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
The other day i got in my 94' xlt and tried starting it, it cranked a few times and then nothing, all the accessories and fuel pump and stuff works. The solenoid is clicking but nothing at the starter. so i replaced the starter and same thing. I waited a few minutes then the power cable (small one) started smoking and the plastic melted off, so i disconnected the battery and now i dont know what to do please help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What do you mean by "the power cable"? If you melted a wire or a cable, it was severely overloaded. You need to find both ends, replace it, make sure nothing else is damaged, then find out why it is being over amped.

Are you talking about the small cable that goes to the starter? If so, could you have had it shorting out?

when mine clicked, i had a dead battery. get your altanator checked out too

Have your battery cables ever been replaced? I can't tell you how many electrical gremlins disappeared when I replaced mine. After shopping around, I decided to get them from Ford...complete set for about $150, well worth the money, excellent quality. It took me about 5 hours to do the job.

One symptom I was having was that I'd get into my truck, and notice that all my radio presets were gone...just like what happens when the battery is disconnected. Another symptom...the first click on the interval wipers wand would result in one sweep, but no more...I'd have to recycle the switch. No more problems now!:thumbsup:

:salute:everything has now been replaced, Cables, Starter, Starter solenoid, the only thing left i can think of is the crankshaft position sensor any ideas?

How old is the battery? Mine died & sounded like a bad starter. Replaced the battery & no more issue.

Also, you say the wire smoked? At the starter or at the battery? If it was at the starter, is it connected tight & correct? I know that sounds like a stupid question, but if it's not completely connected you will arc it out.
Walter

the cable from the solenoid to the starter gets hot and smokes and its new. also the battery is new i have checked every connection and cant find anything out of place.

the cable from the solenoid to the starter gets hot and smokes and its new. also the battery is new i have checked every connection and cant find anything out of place.

Did you replace the starter with a new one? Could be the comm in the starter is suffering from copper drag. Replace the starter and you should be good. Copper drag is when the copper bars that make up the commutator distort and touch one another. At that point, you have a short from positive to ground and smoke the battery cable. This is assuming the starter is hooked up correctly and the problem goes away when the cables are disconnected from the starter.

Yeah everything is brand new, the starter, solenoid and cables, the new starter gets power but doesnt make any noise when i try to start it i still just get that clicking from the solenoid.

Sounds like something was hooked up wrong then.

Thanks for the help!!!

:salute:Good news everyone. Turns out the new starter i bought wasn't putting out the right amount of power, I tested it at Checker and it failed bad so I got a new Autolite and bam she runs like a deer, thanks everyone for all the input

Back