Metal Fuel Connector Crimped

Lhlalyam

Reaction score
City, State
Nanaimo
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer Sport Trac 2002
Hello Everyone,

I had someone else work on my truck because I am travelling. He did my shocks alright but when it came to the fuel line... he messed up.

When he was trying to do the fuel filter... He didn't tell me that he broke a plastic clip on one of the connectors. And he didn't tell me that he crimped the metal connector on the opposite side (non braided line).

I was able to do a search and found the following to fix the plastic clip:

(dead links)

I wasn't able to find anything regarding the metal connector. I tried using the special fuel filter tool to remove the connector but it only slides in one side of the connector and is unable to insert on the other side.

I seen in the forums here that someone used pliers to ensure the tool goes in properly to the connector. I'll try this tomorrow.

Does anyone know if these can be replaced? Is it like plumbing... will I need to buy a small pipe cutting tool?

Respects,

Lhlalyam

Ford Explorer Sportrac 2002

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On the braided metal side, what release tool are you using?
This is the recommended tool set.
88_1.jpg

You can get replacement "springs" to go inside of the steel lines.
FuelLineClips.jpg

Fordfuellinespring.jpg
Fordfuellinespring1.jpg

Hello again everyone,

After looking at the fuel problems myself.... this is what I found.

On the tank end... the fella broke a clip from the connector that connects to one end of the fuel filter.

One the engine side of the filter... the fella crimped the end of the connection with pliers or vice grips. When I insert the fuel filter removal tool... only one side fits in. Now I have been struggling to try straighten the crimped side out.

I'm looking for any tips on straightening this thing out... does anyone have any ideas?

I've been at this job all day. I bought a couple of bent pliers hoping I can insert then pry the crimped part open. I also bout little brass bent tools but they just break under the pressure.

Respects,

Lhlalyam

Hello Again,

Thank you NCranchero.. I don't think that is the problem. I've taken a picture of the connector. You will notice that it isn't perfectly round like it should be.

(dead links)

Check this out. This is news to me too. Post #9
Fuel line repair

Apparently NAPA (730-4926) and Dorman make replacement ends.

You'll have to cut that off. Man it's FUBAR ! ! ! You should not let this friend work on your Trac again !

Thank NCrachero... I'll try this out. The guy isn't my friend. Was a auto guy from Craigslist... thought it would be something he could do.

I got him to do it because I am out of town travelling. Now, I am spending my break time fixing this mess he made. *sigh*... I guess I never learn hey.

Respects,

Lhlalyam

I have a friend who lives across the creek from you in Surrey. SHE's probably a better mechanic than Mr.Craigslist Mechanic!

Wish you luck on this one!

Only one problem as compared to the link given. The instructions given for the Bronco shows the repair for unbraided lines.

The one I am working with is a braided line. Can I cut this and do the repair in a similar way?

Lhlalyam

Well... since I am travelling.. I was able to find a mechanic that will be coming out to where I am.

We wen't over the work and this is what he will do:

1. Cut the fuel line where the braided line ends... on the metal line with a brake line cutter.

2. Flare with a bubble on the new cut metal fuel line.

3. Attach a new high pressure fuel line hose to the old metal fuel line with two clamps.

4. Clamp the other end of the new high pressure fuel line hose to the new fuel filter with two clamps.

I need to look into buying a brake line cutter and double flare tool for future repairs.

Lhlalyam

600KM or 372miles and the fuel repair kit is still working. 400KM or 248miles left to go.

UPDATE: the repair kit held through 1000KM or 620miles

Mine has the same problem. Someone worked on this thing before my ownership and distorted the filter's engine-side connector by gripping it with pliers or vise grips. The old filter won't release. I sprayed a bunch of lubricant into it and broke a couple of fuel release tools. Mine was built 07/2002 and there was a design change in the fuel system after 03/04/2002. The fuel hardline from filter to engine has be long discontinued from Ford. Paranoia is getting the best of me by not wanting to modify the fuel line. I'd much rather get a new one if I could find one or scavenge one from an 02-03 being parted out, but up to this day I'm not having any luck. The filter tube to the engine is rusty so that tells me it's definitely old. When I had the back of the filter disconnected there was debris coming out.
(dead links)

I found a video on Youtube that shows a guy modifying a cap from a Sharpie marker to use as a release tool. My connector is so messed up I destroyed what was left of the cap.

The original part number to the fuel line going from the fuel filter to the engine's fuel rail is 2L2Z-9L291-AF for Sport Trac built after 03/04/2002

Back