MFS or multi-function switch | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MFS or multi-function switch

Sounds simple enough to pull the part in a part store BUT that is only good if the store is heavily stocked on different switches!

UPDATE: 11/19/2013

I bought the part that looked like mine.....looked identical to the one i have in every way.....plugged her in and walla signals working...check.....dimmer check....hazards check......wipers.....FAIL they did not turn on and washer fluid didnt work.....tried a couple times and got it to turn on but then wont turn off!
ARGH i suppose the part could be faulty right?? that would be my luck. Poster above gave a part number for advanced auto so I guess that will be my next move :eek:

Doug

You must make sure the switch is from the same year.
In my case, I got 2 off a 98+ explorer.
If you put the 96/97 one on a 98+, your wipers won't work. If you put a 98+ on a 96/97, the wipers work, too well.. They never turn off. :D
So, I rather have a buggy switch than drive around with wipers on full always.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You must make sure the switch is from the same year.
In my case, I got 2 off a 98+ explorer.
If you put the 96/97 one on a 98+, your wipers won't work. If you put a 98+ on a 96/97, the wipers work, too well.. They never turn off. :D
So, I rather have a buggy switch than drive around with wipers on full always.

Guess I am finding that out! I put my old one back in for now :)

Doug

My mistake, I just realized that I posted the switch number for a 96 Explorer, which is different than your 2002.

It's listed as a "headlight dimmer switch", BWD part # S3301, $59.99 before coupon.

And i think that will not work as i tried another one for 97+ models and wont work my wipers! CRAZY enough the stealer dealer told me aftermarket will not work for me due to new pin design from 9-to-7pins NOT sure i believe that due to 151.05 cost! do not trust them a whole lot....the guy did tell me that there is an id number on the switch and if i get that number he can cross it to ensure its correct first! Pisses me off because i wont be able to return it if it is wrong!

I've got 2 sitting around for a 98+ Explorer. One is actually out of a 2002 Sport.
Won't work on my 97 cause they switched the pins around..
Both are good condition and working. Message me if you want them.

I've got 2 sitting around for a 98+ Explorer. One is actually out of a 2002 Sport.
Won't work on my 97 cause they switched the pins around..
Both are good condition and working. Message me if you want them.
I know this is a super old thread. Just changed my GEM. It was a 99sport where mine is a super early production 98sport with many sensors abnormal from standard. Would the switch still plug in. My GEM does all I wish it too. Including puddle lights and vanity lights working now. Only issue is my wipers work on click below high and high. High is typically full speed (has been slower a couple times???) and below that is a 5 sec interval. Is this because the switch pins are in different locations possibly? The wipers are the only thing that worked on every setting before but did die here and there from failed GEM. The wipers work 4 times for spray setting but the spray doesn’t work and didn’t before. I assume it is a relay or motor issue though. Any clever people with schematics lol????

They are not the same.

Ap
They are not the same.
Appreciate the input brooks. Thank you for your quick response as well. Is it something I can swap a 99 multi switch to remedy. Or even possibly better a way to rewire what I have. May not be an option I understand. The 98 gem was completely unavailable anywhere near me. It’s solved the problems completely as well. Minus only the two settings so being as how I can get these gems literally a short drive away they had this for $50 with warranty. I assume I could do the stealership route and reprogram? But that may not be an option. Again brooks any input I appreciate and respect your knowledge.

I’m not sure what’s different, but the years use different part numbers for the switches. I’d start with the newer switch.

If the truck is a 98, I'd make sure the parts were for that, the GEM and multi-function switch. If something altered the wiring, I'd fix that so the proper parts will work right.

There were major changes between 98 and 99-01's, none of the main wiring harnesses swap directly. You should be able to tell which it is by the VIN tag or visually, by the main power distribution box under the hood.

If the truck is a 98, I'd make sure the parts were for that, the GEM and multi-function switch. If something altered the wiring, I'd fix that so the proper parts will work right.

There were major changes between 98 and 99-01's, none of the main wiring harnesses swap directly. You should be able to tell which it is by the VIN tag or visually, by the main power distribution box under the hood.
I have no way to get a 98. The 99-01 are everywhere. All my accessories seem to function. Even those that didn’t before. I am assuming the mfs may be the only thing different for me. So I suppose I will try to find either a 99 mfs or the wiring difference and adjust as this is the third gem in the life of this vehicle and as new ones aren’t available I would like to “upgrade” to the 99. I’d just swap computers but many sensors on my 98 are actually off the 5.3 idk why they did that. Maybe the sensors weren’t in stock but things like my know sensor for my vin are 100% unfindable anymore (although the 5.3 has been great). I will pop open my old gem and see if there is obvious corrosion or something to cause failures. Maybe it can be rehabbed. Thanks again for the help CDW

Back