Mike's 2002 Explorer XLS - "The Informer" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mike's 2002 Explorer XLS - "The Informer"

I finally got the time to post my Explorer here complete with history and pictures. Right now, I'm reserving spaces for my info.

My 2002 Ford Explorer I got from a co-worker three years ago as he was about to trade it on a 2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. It had 100k when I bought it for 3,000 Dollars. My son drove to Happy Valley for a year and half. When he graduated and got a job, he bought 2010 Wrangler Unlimited. So, I took over the Exlporer to drive to work and made it mine

Why do I call it "The Informer"?

This is by daily driver to work. 64 miles each day across the PA. Turnpike. I got more info in the car than you can imagine.Right now, my cabin is equipped with the following;

Cobra 29LTDBC - Peaked and tuned
Passport Solo S2 Radar Detector
GRE PSR-500 Digital Scanner / Uniden Homepatrol-1
Alpine CDA-105 Receiver
Alpine KCE-400BT Handsfree Unit Replaced with KCE-250BT
Garmin GPS (as needed)

Currently I have 153K on it and the Explorer runs like a champ. The only major repair was a transfer case needed rebuilt when the electronic 4WD sensor went haywire.

Mostly,right now, I have minor issues that need addressed. They are;

Anti-lock light is on. Brakes still work
E-Brake light is on. not sure why.
Air Bag light comes and goes. Probably a dirty sensor.
Reverse lights not working, but both bulbs are ok
E-brake not holding (needs adjusted)

Did I mention this is a stick? :)

Oh yeah, bad vapor sensor in the gas tank, nozzle keeps kicking off and can be a pain to fill.

Pictures to come.....

**** UPDATE ****

Busy over the holidays and haven't been in here much.(at all)
The clutch went out in Novemeber and I am one of those lucky folks who has the dual mass flywheel and 26 spine clutches in the US! This really freaked out the transmission mechanics and fortunately for me the answer was right here in the forums. I got the kit from Southland Clutch in San Diego and it shipped to PA in four days. Props to the guys at Southland, they were very helpful. $920 for the parts and $400 for labor. The clutch is working great, probably got about 8K on it now and no issues. Also, Santy Claus brought me a new digital scanner which I will be mounting off the console next to the stick. (pictures coming soon). I also did some antenna mods for the CB and the scanner.

-Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2002 Explorer XLS

Attachments

• Explorer Front Driver.jpg
    Explorer Front Driver.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 1,182
  • Explorer Side.jpg
    Explorer Side.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 753
  • Explorer Dash 2.jpg
    Explorer Dash 2.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 821
  • Dash with HP-1.jpg
    Dash with HP-1.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 863

Here it is, A little raggy, but gives you an idea of what it sold for in 2002.

Attachments

• Window Sticker.jpg
    Window Sticker.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 860

nice x u got there keep up good work

Informer?

You know say Daddy Snow me, I'm gonna blame a licky boom-boom down... :D

Looks great, Mike! Not many people have ever seen a manual trans Gen III.

Informer?

Informer? Well it needed a name, I'd say it was the biggest snitch on the turnpike more information than you can shake a stick at. I'm monitoring Radar, Turnpike transmisssions, state police, and CB. Oh yeah, I'm usually on the phone (handsfree of course) all at the same time.

Gen III Stick. My kid would drive nothing but a stick and that's why I kept it.
Love the shift.

Well for Christmas. I got a new clutch. and all I can say is....

THANK GOD FOR SERIOUS EXPLORATIONS!!!!!

Without you guys I never would have got this running again..
You see, I had the infamous 26 spine clutch. Only about 1000 Explorers in the USA. I had to go to Southland Clutch in San Diego. My local mechanics never saw anything like this. $920 for the parts shipped, and 400 for labor.
I lot cheaper than a 2012 Rubicon. Yeah, I going all in on my next 4 X 4.
Until then, I run the Explorer till it dies (which may be a long time).

Last weekend the Alternator died 318 dollars....Still cheaper than a car payment.

Informer?

It's OK Joe I got the joke :D

That stupid song popped in my head as soon as I saw the thread title, lol.

They still screwed you on the price for the part.

Perhaps, but the car died Sunday night and was back on the road at 11:30 AM Monday morning.

Just imagine what Ford would have charged me...

Yea, but I spent about $175 or less when I got mine last year at napa, then got around $40 back when I gave them my old one. So that's where I felt you got screwed because it cost you a lot more for yours then I would have without returning my old one.

Nice! This is only the second manual 3rd gen I've seen on this site

Yea, but I spent about $175 or less when I got mine last year at napa, then got around $40 back when I gave them my old one. So that's where I felt you got screwed because it cost you a lot more for yours then I would have without returning my old one.

I won't argue with you, DIY is the way to go. I leave this kind of stuff to my local mechanic. I have no problems with him making a few bucks and I'm back on the road fast.

BTW..Thanks for joining in the discussion. I appreciate the activity on the thread.

Mike

Back