Mild off roading grocery getter seeks advice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mild off roading grocery getter seeks advice

dsruss

Reaction score
City, State
Western Slope Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer XLT
Hello all you Explorer Fans!

I'm obviously new to this forum and I come here not in desperate need because of a break down or anything like that. I just want to see what's out there and what I can do to improve my ride. First of all I guess I should say a little about myself, where I drive, and what I drive.

I am an average dude with an great little family who like to think we are somewhat adventurous. We take our Explorer camping, we go for back country drives, and haul around a plethora of fishing gear. One of our favorite places in this world is Moab, Utah. We camp, hike, bike, and 4 wheel as much as we can there but since our Explorer is still stock, we don't do Lion's Back or it's friends. We have taken it to the beaches of Mexico and the rivers of Montana. I drive the thing back and forth to work (3 miles) and up and down our valley to go skiing.

Now, if my Explorer was struggling to stay alive mechanically, I wouldn't be here because I would just go buy a new 4 door Jeep or something. But our '99 XLT runs like a champ even though it is starting to age a bit. So I thought maybe it has a few great years and trips left in her and maybe all she needs is a little "face lift" and some red bull. We would like to get a little more adventurous with our off roading so my question is: Where do I start?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to Explorer Forum!

Hmm?

If the 99, which is 8 years old (avg life of a vehicle today) were struggling, you would get a Jeep or something else... That Ex has been very good to ya, you deserve to buy another :D In desperate need... hmm.

To each his own, but my 96 I sold and is still running flawlessly, I'm told... Should I need another vehicle, EX, nothing but EX! To each his own. (Strange way to come to a board where people DO ask for and receive help)

dsruss%20EX.jpg

Here it is..ready for a run down to the river. Like I said, it's not much more than stock but a great little vehicle. I would like to do some upgrades on the suspension and cosmetics. I have thought about some work on the engine but it may be overkill unless I stick to a basic overhaul and such.

Thanks for all the welcomes..

Back