Mishimoto's Explorer ST Catch Can Thread | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mishimoto's Explorer ST Catch Can Thread

ST does not need a catch can. They already come with an internal catch can my FORD mechanic said.

If it's internal, how does it get emptied and where is it?

5,000 miles in my JLT catch can.

ST definitely needs one.

20200626_145311.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's not the first time I've read a post that states the Explorer has an OEM catch can but I have no idea where it is located.

Peter

The previous generation had what could be considered a "catch can" of some sort (at least for a few years of the model run), but I've seen nothing of the sort for the '20-up models. Since Ford removed the previous version somewhere around '17, I believe, it must not have been worth much. In any case, they are a good add-on for sure. Looking forward to this one showing up, but no word yet from Mishimoto on the shipping date.

ST does not need a catch can. They already come with an internal catch can my FORD mechanic said.

If it's internal, how does it get emptied and where is it?

5,000 miles in my JLT catch can.

ST definitely needs one.

View attachment 424136

OEM catch cans are a thing - sort of. So, to keep from adding another regular maintenance cycle (like changing oil, coolant flush, etc.) , IE emptying the can, OEMs typically use an air/oil separator that's integrated into the PCV system and drains back into the oil pan. WE've actually seen systems like this quite often, especially on Euro vehicles like VW/Audi. Ford's system for the EcoBoost's is pretty similar and it basically just looks like a big plastic box on the side of the block. Here's the PCV/AOS on the 2.3L Bronco:

NLT_9145-scaled.jpg

On paper, it's a great concept, but in practice, there's more to be desired. These OEM AOS systems and catch cans operate using the same principle - It's a baffled chamber (some Ford parts include fluid traps too) that allows the blow-by to condense and collect before traveling to the intake system. From our experience, and especially with just about every iteration of the EcoBoost platform, this OEM AOS still needs some backup. Even with these installed on the vehicles, blow-by is still making its way through the system (see above). Since the OEM systems drain that milky mixture back into the oil pan, it can reduce your oil's lifespan since blow-by is typically a mixture of oil, fuel, and water condensation (depending on climate and the current temperature). Basically, it's better to collect blow-by elsewhere and just remove it from the system. This is a sample from a 3.5 EcoBoost, and I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want this in any part of my engine:

MG_7012_UL.jpg

Basically, yes, these have a form of catch can from the factory, but OEMs, including Ford, for the most part still need to make compromises during design and production to reduce maintenance and costs for their vehicles.

The previous generation had what could be considered a "catch can" of some sort (at least for a few years of the model run), but I've seen nothing of the sort for the '20-up models. Since Ford removed the previous version somewhere around '17, I believe, it must not have been worth much. In any case, they are a good add-on for sure. Looking forward to this one showing up, but no word yet from Mishimoto on the shipping date.

Our kits are already on the way to our warehouses, and we'll begin shipping in a few weeks!

-Nick

Hey guys!

I just wanted to bump this up with a quick update. We're still waiting on a few components to arrive in our warehouse so that we can begin shipping, but the silver lining is that our sale price is now extended!

We're hoping to have these shipped out to you guys in the next week or two! I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks!
Nick

Hey gang!

I just wanted to bump this thread up since we're running a contest to win a free catch can kit! Details below

MMBCC-EST-20PBE_Contest-Post.jpg

Enter your information below to be entered for a chance to win a 2020+ Ford Explorer Catch Can Kit . This is your chance to win our latest catch can for your Explorer! This Giveaway is open to US residents and runs 1/5/2022 at 11:00 AM EST - 1/31/22 at 11:59 AM EST. No purchase necessary. One winner will be randomly selected and will be notified via email. Winner will win one Mishimoto 2020+ Ford Explorer Catch Can Kit with a total estimated retail value of $266.60. Click here for full terms and conditions.

Explorer Catch Can Giveaway

By entering your information, you are opting in to receive emails from Mishimoto, including exclusive discounts and product releases (you can unsubscribe at any time). SMS messaging available only to U.S. residents.

-Nick

Hey Guys,

Just a quick update - We're still waiting on some of the kit components to arrive at our warehouse. Unfortunately, these pieces are still in the backlog fray at the ports, but we're doing what we can to speed up the process.

Thanks!
Nick

Hey Guys!

Just another bump up to let you know that our kits have finally been inventoried and should be on their way to you now!

Thank you for following along with our development and for your patience through our shipping delays! We're looking forward to seeing these kits on your Explorers

-Nick

Installed the Mishimoto Catch Can in my '21 Platinum today.
Most difficult task was releasing the OEM connectors/hose.
For my 3.0L Platinum everything was located exactly as it is in the ST model.
Covered the two hoses with an abrasion/heat sleeve similar to the OEM sleeves.

Mishimoto-Catch_Can.jpeg Mishimoto-Catch_Can2.jpeg

Back