Mismatched Puddlelamps on ST ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mismatched Puddlelamps on ST ?

gpz1221

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer ST
I have a questions for my fellow ST owners. My puddlelamps in my mirrors seem to be mismatched on my ST. I thought both puddle lamps should light up with the red ST. However on mine, the passenger side is the red ST, the driver side is a bright white normal light, no logo. The light pod under the mirrors are actually different, see photos. I asked the dealer, he said that's the way it's supposed to be ???? Is this correct ? I may actually like the bright white light on the drivers side, it lights up the area much better..

ST puddle passenger.jpg

ST puddle driver.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go back to your dealer - both of mine are the red ST...If anything it should be only on the drivers side, not only passenger.

It is a new car so a lot of dealers don't really know what "normal" is. That is not normal. I would get that fixed and keep on looking for other defects. Trust me, they are there.

Both sides are ST. Hurry up and go back, tou only have 7 days for this type of stuff. I'm assuming they used the correct mirror cap on the wrong mirror base.

Seven days? Doesn't sound like a bumper to bumper warrant to me.

Seven days? Doesn't sound like a bumper to bumper warrant to me.

Mismatched parts are 7 days, not a warranty issue. And only covered from the original dealer.

Mismatched parts are 7 days, not a warranty issue. And only covered from the original dealer.
With all do respect, it makes no sense that it would have only a 7 day window, so i guess we would have to go with a fine comb thru out the whole car in 7 days.

With all do respect, it makes no sense that it would have only a 7 day window, so i guess we would have to go with a fine comb thru out the whole car in 7 days.

Regardless of how we feel about it, that is how it works. Anything beyond 7 days on mismatched parts, the dealer will have to eat the cost if they replace it. Mismatched parts are typically noticed pretty quickly.

Had it happen on my 07 powerstroke. Captain chair armrest.. drivers side was leather on all 4 sides, passenger side was leather on 3 sides with the inner side being cloth. Noticed it several weeks later and after going up the chain, the Service Manager agreed to eat the cost of almost $300 for a new armrest.

Jeez, another issue in the new release. Sad to see these things happening, granted it doesn't affect the safety of the vehicle but clearly this was missed in QC. My dealer had at least 7+ 2020's on the lot and one getting ready for a test drive. Given all going on right now, i wouldn't take one for at least 6 months (or whenever "Job 1" hits)

From your Warranty Guide, page 2.
CHECK YOUR VEHICLE We try to check vehicles carefully at the assembly plant and the dealership, and we usually correct any damage to paint, sheet metal, upholstery, or other appearance items. But occasionally something may slip past us, and a customer may find that a vehicle was damaged before he or she took delivery. If you see any damage when you receive your vehicle, notify your dealership within one week.
I don't know if mismatched puddle lamps would fall under "other appearance items" or not. If not, then I don't believe the one week reference would apply.

Peter

Factory defects should not fall under this 7 day discovery period. Otherwise Ford is alone in this policy.

Factory defects should not fall under this 7 day discovery period. Otherwise Ford is alone in this policy.

Again, it isnt a defect, it is a mismatched part.

Again, it isnt a defect, it is a mismatched part.
In manufacturing, a mismatched part or wrong part is the textbook definition of a defect.

Perhaps those with early 2020's need to research/understand if their vehicle went through FRAP and how long it was there. Personally, I would not accept a delivery of a new vehicle that had to be quarantined at a staging facility to be reworked (and still had things messed up/overlooked).

In manufacturing, a mismatched part or wrong part is the textbook definition of a defect.

Perhaps those with early 2020's need to research/understand if their vehicle went through FRAP and how long it was there. Personally, I would not accept a delivery of a new vehicle that had to be quarantined at a staging facility to be reworked (and still had things messed up/overlooked).
I agree 100%! Have one that is scheduled to be built on 10/10 and alreadt told the dealer if it has more than 2 miles or is held I will not accept. Too much $$$ for this kind of crap.

I agree 100%! Have one that is scheduled to be built on 10/10 and alreadt told the dealer if it has more than 2 miles or is held I will not accept. Too much $$$ for this kind of crap.

More than 2 miles and you wont take it? Lol. Might as well move on then. I have never seen a vehicle with 2 miles or less on it. ****, every vehicle travels on a road course when it comes out of the factory.

More than 2 miles and you wont take it? Lol. Might as well move on then. I have never seen a vehicle with 2 miles or less on it. ****, every vehicle travels on a road course when it comes out of the factory.
Fat fingered, meant 12!

I typically have under 5 miles. My 2012 Boss 302 had 34 miles with a letter in it stating it was factory tested on test track. My 2011 GT500 had 27 miles with same type of letter. Those miles are nothing in the grand scheme of things compared to how many the buyer will put on them.

I was glad they were tested and passed before coming to me

I typically have under 5 miles. My 2012 Boss 302 had 34 miles with a letter in it stating it was factory tested on test track. My 2011 GT500 had 27 miles with same type of letter. Those miles are nothing in the grand scheme of things compared to how many the buyer will put on them.

I was glad they were tested and passed before coming to me
I guess I'm looking at it from what I am reading, if it goes to Mich. to be fixed after being built I don't want it, how would I know? Miles and time to get after build. Make sense?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess I'm looking at it from what I am reading, if it goes to Mich. to be fixed after being built I don't want it, how would I know? Miles and time to get after build. Make sense?
Wonder if there will be an additional documentation that will come with the vehicle stating/showing FRAP activity(ies)?

Back