MMR custom face gauges (FINALLY!) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MMR custom face gauges (FINALLY!)

That helps just fine, thank you very much. It's just been a while since I last took my dash apart and I was having a little trouble remembering. The 3M adhesive on the back of the bezel (Ebay pictures) confused me a little bit. This sounds like a good project to go to the junkyard and find a bezel from a wreck to work on instead of your own. ;)

And then, months later she finds that the same place she bought the carbon fiber bezel from also sells an aluminum one that perfectly matches her aluminum dash kit :rolleyes:

Guages are still holding up well despite the record breaking heat we had this summer! I can't stress enough that if you get these, make SURE you glue them down as flat as you can. Mine pop up a bit when it gets really hot because I didn't use enough glue :( Oh well, just an excuse to pull it apart again and buy the aluminum bezel :D

I did something similar a few years back. I went to a rice burner store and picked up a sheet of carbon fiber look sticker. It is a big sheet the stuff for like $5 bucks.
I removed the plexiglass/bezel piece from the dash, took a Dremel cutting tool and carefully cut the tabs that joined the plexiglass and bezel together. Next I took the bezel and secured it on the "carbon fiber look" with some tape so it didn't move around. I then took an exacto knife and carefully cut the shape of the bezel. This can be frustrating if you don't take your time and make accurate cuts. Next remove a small portion of the backing so the stickiness is exposed, place the cut sheet into the bezel. Tip: cleaning the surface with alcohol makes the bond much better. Now you can begin to cut the holes in the sheet that match the bezel. Once the holes are cut now there is just some minor smoothing to make the piece look natural, and clean. Super glue, hot glue the plexiglass to the bezel and reinstall. Tip:I found that the super glue will leave a residue behind as it cures, so if you don't let it cure completely before reinstalling you may have to pull it back apart to wipe the white residue.

Looks good, but they require way to much work to install.

I looked into getting them untill I found out how much of a pain in the ass they are to install. :(

Back