Mobil 1 at Mile 1, your thoughts

wpurple

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer
I just picked up a 06 F250 and changed to Mobil 1 when I got it home.

I mentioned this on another forum and got loads of flack stating that you should never go with synthetic until many miles.

I don't feel that to be true, first Mobil 1 is factory filled on several vehicles, and they don't use a break in oil as they did of yesteryear.

I will change the oil again at about 1500 miles, but still run with synthetic.

The factory 5W20 is a partial synthetic anyways....

Your thoughts?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if it didn't come with it from the factory i won't swap to it- not because i think it will cause damage though, i just think its mainly a waste of money and time

Lets say you had a major engine meltdown at 2K miles, lets say perhaps the dealer runs a UOA on the oil, lets say your warranty gets voided and than you need to fight ford.
Run what you have, switch over at say 10 K miles, after all is broken in and any possible kinks are worked out

did you at least run the recommended 5w20?

and here is a good site for lubrication questions.
lots of interesting reading and you should be able to find something on your topic and be able to ask questions.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi

What does Ford recommend the first oil change be at and with?
Flack or not it's not going to hurt anything, especially if it had semi synth from the factory.

I have run synthetic oil in new motors many times with no problems.

aldive said:
I have run synthetic oil in new motors many times with no problems.

Same here. This includes my X which was switched over at 800 miles. API certified oil in the recommended weight will not void a warranty nor will it cause any damage, synthetic or not.

... its just hard to tell the dealer that it isn't voided (and that's what really matters)

I'm a 3 month, 3k mile oil change junkie. I have bad dreams if it ever hits 4k and isn't changed. :)

I use Mobil 1 in my GTO. Can't bring myself to go past 6k on it. Everything else gets dino oil.

the thread was about the fact that the engine will not be broken in correctly with synthetic oil. Seating of the rings, wear in of the cam, and to go on to say that you'll never get the rated HP from the motor w/o the correct break in.

If all agree that Syns lessen friction, just remember you also have a set of rings that need to be seated.

Sorry purple
few secs to late:)

wpurple said:
the thread was about the fact that the engine will not be broken in correctly with synthetic oil. Seating of the rings, wear in of the cam, and to go on to say that you'll never get the rated HP from the motor w/o the correct break in.

I have never had an issue with rings when using synthetic oil from the initial start up of many newly rebuilt motors.

Quite a few vehicles come from the factory with synthetic.

wpurple said:

Take a look at http://www.exxonmobil.com/Corporate/Newsroom/Newsreleases/xom_nr_050104_1.asp

>>Another big misconception, says Goss, is that new engines require a break-in period with conventional oil, and then drivers can switch to a synthetic. In fact, today's engine technology does not require this break-in period.

To further prove his point, Goss points out that Mobil 1 - the #1 selling synthetic motor oil, and the oil he personally uses - is factory fill and service fill for a number of the world's finest performance vehicles, including numerous Mercedes-Benz models, Chevrolet Corvette, all Porsche and Aston Martin cars, Cadillac XLR, Dodge Viper and Ford Mustang Cobra R.<<

http://www.amsoil.com/faqs/faq1.aspx

>>AMSOIL and Break In on New and Rebuilt Engines

Q. I heard that new cars require a break in period with petroleum before you switch them to synthetic. How long should this break in period be?

A. AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oil can be used during break-in trouble free. In fact, vehicles such as Dodge Viper and Chevrolet Corvette come factory filled with synthetic oil.<<

Than fill it with Syn from the getgo as per the above info.
Ford has not a clue as to what they are doing I guess

I just bought a Trailblazer SS and it came from the factory with Mobil 1

It's true. "Break-in" has become somewhat of a misnomer. With chrome, chrome-moly rings, machining methods used (read, tolerances and finish)) break-in is somewhat of an old-school term now (and I'm definitely old school). In essence, "break-in" oil is just not required much. There is certainly nothing wrong with "breaking in" an engine, not without exception, but it just isn't necessary like it used to be.It really depends on the mfg. or engine builder.

Speaking to that, I've probably had the cylinder heads off a hundred late model engines around or over 100k miles. The factory crosshatch has been visible and there has been little to no cylinder ridge on the vast majority of them. Even those with obvious poor maintenance. Says a lot to a guy that always believed in "break-in". Like me ;).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

spindlecone said:
Than fill it with Syn from the getgo as per the above info.
Ford has not a clue as to what they are doing I guess

Ford never said not to use synthetic even at zero miles. Nor does Ford address any break in period in my owners manual. It does say to only use API certified oils in the recommended weight.

Back