Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF in Transfer Case | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF in Transfer Case

If the rear is all sealed, i doubt rust would be an issue. Even if it was sitting for years. That lube is like a glue, it sticks pretty darn good. If there was rust, perhaps that diff was opened previous to his rebuild? Or maybe he went thru some water, the water level was over his diff vent tube, thus resulting in the need for a rebuild??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you refering to the abs sensor in the rear dif? If not my bad.

sportrac03,
yes, the notes say take out the rear abs sensor and add a pint.

my pos mounty,
I totally agree its what i expect too, although the guy didn't say anything about towing a boat etc.

I would think its sealed and no water could get in, unless there was some design issue with the seals. I've read and heard that the half shaft seals had a superseded design that replaced the two part seal with a one piece. Why? Cost maybe? or bad seal.

On a side note my diff gets dunk at the boat launch couple of times a year, i use Mobil 1 - 75-140w, about every 24k. Maybe the notes are for early builds?

I'll try and find that post with pics of the diff rebuild, i might have skimmed over something.

Water wont get in with the occasional dunk in the water as long as the diff vent tube is up high enough to not allow water in. (Unless you rear abs sensor has lost its seal)
If that vent tube is plugged or is below what the water level was, there is a chance of it.

The pics work in the first thread. Post #9 shows the carnage.
If you read up further, #13, he talks about finding metal shavings, but no evidence of water in the diff. They go on to talk about inferior parts used at the factory.
Do you have the infamous whine?

If i were to remove the abs sensor and add another pint, what would be the down side of that?

I doubt a pint would make a big difference either way. It would add somewhere around 1/16th of an inch to the fluid level (or something like that).
Worst case scenario is the possibility of small oil droplets (kinda like a fine mist) getting spewed out of the differential breather, but doubtful.

anyone know how many quarts the front and rear diff take? Thanks

FluidCap1.jpg

FluidCap2.jpg

FluidCap3.jpg

The pics work in the first thread. Post #9 shows the carnage.
If you read up further, #13, he talks about finding metal shavings, but no evidence of water in the diff. They go on to talk about inferior parts used at the factory.
Do you have the infamous whine?

By "infamous whine" are you by chance referring to a sound I hear between 1700-2400 rpm in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears? Mine's been doing this for about 6 months (that I've noticed), and happens almost every time I drive, hot or cold. I can't tell if it's coming from the rear end, or the trans. My '05 just rolled over 70,000 miles, and I've been plotting an ATF change for a while. I've just gotta track down a filler tool. (Advance and AutoZone haven't had them the last couple times I've gone in, and I usually get an odd look when I start telling them what I need.)

By "infamous whine" are you by chance referring to a sound I hear between 1700-2400 rpm in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears? Mine's been doing this for about 6 months (that I've noticed), and happens almost every time I drive, hot or cold. I can't tell if it's coming from the rear end, or the trans. My '05 just rolled over 70,000 miles, and I've been plotting an ATF change for a while. I've just gotta track down a filler tool. (Advance and AutoZone haven't had them the last couple times I've gone in, and I usually get an odd look when I start telling them what I need.)

Check Post #24 of this thread and read the threads shown, (especially the third one). Those should answer your question if what you are hearing is the same whine or not.
There is a forum vendor that has properly rebuilt differentials for sale at a discount to forum members. His name is ericautopart. You could send him a Private Message if you need to replace yours.
I copied post#24 below:

Back