Modding an explorer ideas? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Modding an explorer ideas?

Reaction score
Greetings,
my friend has a 97 2 door explorer and ive agreed to help him do some mods to it. I'm a car guy myself and have done lots to my car (JDM engine swap, etc.) but anywho I want to help him get his explorer how he wants it. I'm looking for ideas to upgrade his explorer.. without spending a whole lot of $$

-Light performance mods (intake, etc)
-Light exterior mods (better rims/wheels,HID's, etc.)
-Interior mods (any good lighting ideas, etc.?)

I don't know a whole lot about explorer styling so please help me out!

He wants it to be clean and stylish, not ricey or lame (for example, too many cheap ebay products etc...)

He already has a sound system installed btw.

thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

PS: I have a source to get JLM HID kits for a little over a hundred shipped, what is the bulb type on the explorer?

I dyed my pass air bag, glove box, speaker grills, and top part of the doors black to break up the way too much grey I had. I also painted the radio bezel and center console same as the truck. Crystal clear headlights and corners. 6 piece led lighting kit(one tube under each seat and two on rear tire humps). Spray tinted the taillights. Its a good start for the looks part.

Plus a billet grill would look nice.

I would encourage you to send him here:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=108

Let him browse through people's trucks and decide what he likes.

As for performance mods, you can go with an exhaust and cone filter for some added low cost kick. A lot of people also put in a chip. Run a search on any of these things and you'll find more threads and information than you'll know what to do with. Get your friend to sign up here to make it easy.

I dyed my pass air bag, glove box, speaker grills, and top part of the doors black to break up the way too much grey I had. I also painted the radio bezel and center console same as the truck. Crystal clear headlights and corners. 6 piece led lighting kit(one tube under each seat and two on rear tire humps). Spray tinted the taillights. Its a good start for the looks part.

Plus a billet grill would look nice.

Got any pics of all this? sounds good

*** Note *** I would strongly discourage ANY painting of the air bag doors. For safety reasons. Paint chips in your eye at 800 MPH might not be what you are after.

ANY WAY,
click on My Explorer under my signature for some ideas too.

Yea, check it out - one of my favorite trucks on here. ^^^

Back