• Register Today It's free!

Mods for the '99 EB 5.0 V8

Cobra Jack

Reaction score
City, State
Tinley Park, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Explr 03 Cobra 07 335
I've been browsing and seearching this board for a little while... and of course I have a few questions that haven't really been answered through the search.

I've owned 3 fox body mustangs with the 302 (5.0) over the years, ranging from a bone stock LX hatch, to a 450rwhp '91 notch with a DSS 306 pro bullet long block, so I know my way around a 302.

Through my search on this forum I've noticed a few differences in the '99 302 versus say a '93 302.

I'm looking to add a little more power to the Explorer since it's my daily driver... nothing crazy since I have a 500+ rwhp car in the garage.

On to my questions:

Will any SN95 intake manifold work on these?
Which intake manifold is prefered?
As for Cams, anyone try an E-cam?
Roller rockers any input on those?

What other small mods would you suggest?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Aside from the cam, the Explorers basically have a Cobra motor already. GT40P heads, GT40 lower, cobra equivilant upper. I threw an e cam in mine with 1.6 roller rockers. There's better choices for cams though. I'll do a custom one if I do it again.

check out my signature, basically every bolt-on you can do without touching the engine...the explorer has a well put together motor though, as stated by section, get a custom cam. you can port the gt40p's also, though i would be careful about going crazy with these, otherwise you will lose alot of your torque unless you put are putting a 331 or347...the explorer is still a heavy SUV and needs the torque down low or else you will hate driving it everyday...

Suggestions...

Cobra Jack said:
I've been browsing and seearching this board for a little while... and of course I have a few questions that haven't really been answered through the search.

I've owned 3 fox body mustangs with the 302 (5.0) over the years, ranging from a bone stock LX hatch, to a 450rwhp '91 notch with a DSS 306 pro bullet long block, so I know my way around a 302.

Through my search on this forum I've noticed a few differences in the '99 302 versus say a '93 302.

I'm looking to add a little more power to the Explorer since it's my daily driver... nothing crazy since I have a 500+ rwhp car in the garage.
The trick to these vehicles is to treat them like the Truck they are. Develop your power down low. I too am in agreement with Section and 99Saleen, you have a good start with the 5.0 V8 used in the Explorer/Mountaineer from '96-'01.

On to your questions:
Cobra Jack said:
Will any SN95 intake manifold work on these?
Which intake manifold is prefered?
The intakes in these vehicles are the GT40 lower and essentially the '95 Cobra upper. So, you're already doing pretty good. To enhance what you have, you can add the 1" intake spacer between the upper and lower intake, which is available from Ford Racing (M-9486-A53).
Cobra Jack said:
As for Cams, anyone try an E-cam?
We had one of customers, who wanted to keep his Explorer as a daily driver and used the '95 cobra cam with Torque Monster Headers and was able to put 271 hp to the wheels and 330 lbs. of torque. Don't know the part number.
Cobra Jack said:
Roller rockers any input on those?
To keep with the theme of developing torque and hp down low, use 1.6 roller rockers. The Ford Racing part number is: M-6564-B351. You can also use your favorite manufacturer, (i.e. Crane, Comp Cams, etc.).
Cobra Jack said:
What other small mods would you suggest?
We have a bunch of small mods to keep your Explorer a daily driver and increase gas mileage as well as horsepower & torque. These are suggestions only FYI...

After installing Torque Monster Headers, PN 9601-50-EX-1, these are Add-Ons that may appeal to your more Horsepower/Torque requirements.

Add-Ons: Stage 1

* K&N air filter stock element replacement, or
* K&N Cone element to replace stock Air Box.

* Install Tornado, worth 1-2 hp on the 5.0 V8, helps gas mileage...
One of those add-ons..., every little bit helps.

* JBA Spark Plug (Ignition) Wires, PN 06239, or your preferred brand.
* Ford Motorcraft Spark Plugs or your preferred brand.
* 2 - MSD, Ford Coil Packs, 4-Tower, PN 8241, or your preferred brand.

* Install Cat Back Exhaust System. However, make sure to install a system with flow through resignator that will have some backpressure. The stock computer settings (o2 sensors) work better with backpressure. Consider, Dynamax, Flo-Pro, or Gibson for systems that have the required backpressure.

These Stage 1 changes, along with Torque Monster Headers, should net you about 30-35 HP and about the same in TQ and should not require a chip change, yet. However, if you install a super free flowing Cat Back Exhaust System at this point, you will need to chip the vehicle.

Add-Ons: Stage 2

* 8 - Bosch Spark plugs, Platinum +4, PN 4458
Or your preferred high performance brand.

* 8 - Nology Spark Plug (Ignition) Wires, PN 014208001
Or your preferred high performance brand.

* 2 - MSD, Ford Coil Pack, 4-Tower, PN 8241
* 1 - MSD Digital DIS-4 Plus, PN 62152

* MAC Air Intake, complete replacement for stock Intake unit.

* 16 - Ford Racing, Roller Rocker Arms, PN M-6564-B351
* 1 - Ford Racing, EFI Heat Spacer, 1" thick, Fits between upper and lower manifolds to help dissipate heat and significantly increase performance. PN M-9486-A53

* Reprogram your computer/engine management system. Contact "http://www.bamachips.com" or your preferred retailer for your needs.

* Exhaust system from the CATs to the rear bumper. Your choice, many ways to do it. If you have more than 100,000 miles on the vehicle, replace the catalytic converters. Order from Ford.

These Stage 2 changes, along with Torque Monster Headers, should give you about 50-60 hp over stock without going into the internals of the motor.

Add-Ons: Stage 3

* Powerdyne or Eaton supercharger.

* Stroker engine, 306, 331, 342 or 347 cubic inch are the most popular.
Purchase from Coast High Performance (coasthigh.com) or Ford Racing.

* Select the Cam you prefer at this point. Keep it with one that develops
power and torque in the low RPMs

* Rebuild Transmission with shift kit, etc. Baumann makes a great shift kit for
the Exploter transmission. Check with your favorite transmission rebuilder.

All the Best,

Bob Pasquale
Tech Performance & Engineering
Torque Monster Headers
:thumbsup: :burnout:

rcpasq said:
Ford Racing, EFI Heat Spacer, 1" thick, Fits between upper and lower manifolds to help dissipate heat and significantly increase performance. PN M-9486-A53

Do this with the headers, it'll make bending the EGR tube to fit much easier. If I had to do it over again, I would have installed the spacer when I installed the headers.

The longer intake runners will help build torque, too.

Anyone ever installed the EFI Heat Spacer? Wondering how difficult and how much time this would add to the install.

I picked up the spacer from a local speed shop for $90. This is the 1" Ford Racing GT-40 spacer.
I picked up 2 additional longer bolts, as I was told to use this on the Explorer they are required.

HOWEVER
I did not install the spacer, I cannot use it on my truck as it turns out, not without some more modifications (my IAC valve will hit my hood, and the back of the upper intake would hit my firewall)

So I will be putting this spacer on my 96 Explorer instead.

I expect the install to be fairly straight forward, I can remove the entire upper intake and throttle body, egr, etc in about an hour. Should only be a few minutes more to add the spacer and put it all back together.

I'm still loving the TM headers. I think the MSD coil packs and MAC are next.
105,000mi and running great. Except for the O2's throwing codes.. I have the new ones.. It's just figuring a way to get to them... About to change rotors (again!) to the PROSTOP Powerslot. When things fail they will be upgraded. Thanks for the Stage 1,2,3 mod list! yEa !

Back