• Register Today It's free!

Moonroof + Cargo Box

bbag88

Reaction score
City, State
AG, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Eddie & 2016 Limited
Does anyone know exactly why a cargo box cannot be used with the sunroof?

Is it clearance once it is opened?

or what exactly?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

where did you hear that?

If you look at Ford Build and Price and look at any cargo box, it says not compatible with the sunroof

That's wierd. I just did it and had no problems. Which model were you building? I randomly picked the Limited. For what it's worth, I used a 21 cu ft yakima skybox and had no issues with the sunroof/moonroof. I didn't open the moonroof but I would bet it would clear just fine. The front of the box didn't even completely cover the sunroof opening.

It lets you do it... but if you open up the information icon, it will show that it is not compatible with the sunroof

THULE® Roof Mounted Cargo Box – 13 cu.ft.
$469

The available maximum capacity boxes have room for plenty of extra stuff. Dual-side opening for easier loading/ unloading from either side of the vehicle. Quick-Grip™ mounting system for fast, easy, tool-free installation and removal. SecureLock™ ensures that all gear is locked and box is properly closed prior to driving. Two One-Key™ locks secure box contents and lock the box to the roof rack. 65” X 36” X 17”. Requires roof rack cross-bars. Not for use with Sunroof.

It lets you do it... but if you open up the information icon, it will show that it is not compatible with the sunroof

THULE® Roof Mounted Cargo Box – 13 cu.ft.
$469

The available maximum capacity boxes have room for plenty of extra stuff. Dual-side opening for easier loading/ unloading from either side of the vehicle. Quick-Grip™ mounting system for fast, easy, tool-free installation and removal. SecureLock™ ensures that all gear is locked and box is properly closed prior to driving. Two One-Key™ locks secure box contents and lock the box to the roof rack. 65” X 36” X 17”. Requires roof rack cross-bars. Not for use with Sunroof.
In the Ford Accessories Store I only see 2 Cargo boxes one of which you mentioned. I can see why it isn't compatible. It sits too low to the moonroof so that you can't use the flip-up option of the moonroof. The other box (54X25X15.5) and cross bars has no such restriction.

Peter

Another thing you might wanna look into is how close the clamps of the cargo box come to touching the glass of the sunroof. If heavy loaded and the right pothole, it may make contact if the cross bar has enough flex in it. I recall having very little clearance.

Hope this doesn't cause us any issues with our 2016 we've ordered.

We have a Thule Atlantis 1600xt box we used on family trips with our 2011 Murano. We also had the Thule Aero blades that clamped onto the roof rails. The 2016 Explorers now have flush-mount rails so the Thule bars won't work anymore!

We ordered the Ford roof rack with our explorer...It better f-ing work or I'll be pissed!!:mad:

Wouldn't be the end of the world if I couldn't open the sunroof with the box, but wouldn't be very happy if I couldn't use the box at all!!!

Does Thule make a cross bar that would "hold the box up higher"? Last I checked they were "still working on it" they don't make anything at all right now due to the flush rails.

For us, this basically eliminates getting the moonroof... I guess we'll save some money!

I use the Yakima Railgrab with a Thule Evolution 1800 on my 2012. This has worked very well, and it does raise the box. I originally went this route so I could get more width than standard cross bars and also carry Kayaks. I know the 2016 side rails are described as "flush", but I would take a look at this.

I think this has been addressed in another post but the reason is because with the glass roof's, a 50 lbs weight restriction is placed on the ex roof rails. You can find this in the 2016 owners manual. Most of the Thule cargo boxes are almost 50 lbs empty.

I don't have the X yet. Had a look at the owner's manual online. Says 100lb limit no moon roof, 50lb limit with moon roof. Is this simply due to the "strength" of the roof being compromised due to the moon roof "cut out"?

We generally don't put super heavy stuff in the box, but 50lbs is nothing. Going to have to re-evaluate this...****!!!:mad: Not impressed at all!!
I even mentioned to my salesman we have a Thule box we use in the summer. But I guess they can't know every little detail of every vehicle. Always had moon roofs in our cars so we ordered it with it.

Again both Thule and Yakima don't make anything that would be "stronger" either.

Been looking at trailer hitch boxes as well. May have to go that route instead!:thumbdwn:

Been looking at trailer hitch boxes as well. May have to go that route instead!:thumbdwn:

You might be pleasantly surprised with a hitch mounted system. They actually have quite a few advantages over roof mounted that I personally enjoy...no effect on fuel economy, no added wind noise, easier to load/unload...to name a few. I would highly recommend over any rooftop box.

578047d1444074631-suv-towing-fullsizerender-3.jpg

I don't have the X yet. Had a look at the owner's manual online. Says 100lb limit no moon roof, 50lb limit with moon roof. Is this simply due to the "strength" of the roof being compromised due to the moon roof "cut out"?

We generally don't put super heavy stuff in the box, but 50lbs is nothing. Going to have to re-evaluate this...****!!!:mad: Not impressed at all!!
I even mentioned to my salesman we have a Thule box we use in the summer. But I guess they can't know every little detail of every vehicle. Always had moon roofs in our cars so we ordered it with it.

Again both Thule and Yakima don't make anything that would be "stronger" either.

I was aware of that weight issue but always wondered why. The rails are along the edge of the roof in the same place on both the moonroof and non moonroof vehicles, so what is the difference?

Peter

I love our thule 665c. We've only used it a few times. Regardless of your solution, check out the mylifter garage winch for storing your box.

I gave the thumbs down because I already have the box and may have to spend the money going down a different route. I'm also not at all impressed that you can't put much on the roof! It's an SUV for god sakes!!! U standing for UTILITY. I'm sure canoes or kayaks are out of the question too now! Really dumb in my opinion. Hopefully Ford or one of the aftermarket companies can come up with a solution, because I'm sure I'm not the only one who's ordered with a moonroof and planing to use this thing as an actual SUV!

I actually was considering one of these also.
http://guideimg.alibaba.com/images/...er-basket-rack-combo-for-2-hitches_198318.jpg

Bike rack/basket combo. To have even more room.

I gave the thumbs down because I already have the box and may have to spend the money going down a different route. I'm also not at all impressed that you can't put much on the roof! It's an SUV for god sakes!!! U standing for UTILITY. I'm sure canoes or kayaks are out of the question too now! Really dumb in my opinion. Hopefully Ford or one of the aftermarket companies can come up with a solution, because I'm sure I'm not the only one who's ordered with a moonroof and planing to use this thing as an actual SUV!
There are several threads on the subject but few with pictures. Have you seen these?
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2884041&postcount=1
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=351117&highlight=cargo+box
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2677565&postcount=5
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3313197&postcount=37

Peter

You might be pleasantly surprised with a hitch mounted system. They actually have quite a few advantages over roof mounted that I personally enjoy...no effect on fuel economy, no added wind noise, easier to load/unload...to name a few. I would highly recommend over any rooftop box.

578047d1444074631-suv-towing-fullsizerender-3.jpg

That's an interesting option, i would wonder about how much weight that would be allowable due to the unique way it sits/leverage.

I love our thule 665c. We've only used it a few times. Regardless of your solution, check out the mylifter garage winch for storing your box.

Here's what I do with mine when I'm not using it. Makes for a pretty decent storage solution. I like how I get 24hour/day use out of it all year round. They are pricey so the more use out it I get the better.

00202_lncjRXtf43V_600x450.jpg

00v0v_4hFjIBDno6y_600x450.jpg

00909_eYYt2zYithQ_600x450.jpg

00z0z_36z5nzHSFnA_600x450.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back