More 2006 Ford Explorer Issues! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

More 2006 Ford Explorer Issues!

xXIDaShizIXx

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer XLT
So, initially I had problems with my transmission on my 2006 explorer. I took it to AAMCO and had my transmission rebuilt. Soon after that I had to have my wheel bearings replaced by them. After they did that my airbag sensor, my abs sensor, and my traction control light kept coming on. No problems, just the lights on. I took it back and they said they can't see what was going wrong, which was an obvious lie and didn't happen until they touched the car. Anyways, among that it has gotten where when I try to go from park to reverse or drive, it sticks even with the brake fully pressed and won't get out of park. So could you guys help me with these issues before I pay a fortune to get everything repaired? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Would it be the shift control module? And the lights, what should I do about those?

I cant help you with the canister issue but you have a point about the "2006" Explorer. In my opinion, one should never buy the first year of a new body style and that goes for all makes of cars.

I cant help you with the canister issue but you have a point about the "2006" Explorer. In my opinion you should never buy the first year of a new body style and that goes for all makes of cars.

What canister issue?

Sorry about that, wrong thread

The interlock that releases the shifter from park may not be moving far enough. This link will show you how to get the lower console off and inspect it. With key on, press the brake pedal and watch the interlock move on the right side of the shifter.
If the shifter is hard to move from "R" to "N" to "D" the you have other issues.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168356

The interlock that releases the shifter from park may not be moving far enough. This link will show you how to get the lower console off and inspect it. With key on, press the brake pedal and watch the interlock move on the right side of the shifter.
If the shifter is hard to move from "R" to "N" to "D" the you have other issues.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168356

It is just when it is in park going to reverse or park to drive. Brake lights work fine as well. Once its is in drive I can go to reverse or reverse to drive or either to neutral. That's why I'm thinking its the shift interlock module. Does that sound correct?

It is just when it is in park going to reverse or park to drive. Brake lights work fine as well. Once its is in drive I can go to reverse or reverse to drive or either to neutral. That's why I'm thinking its the shift interlock module. Does that sound correct?

Yes, sounds like it could be shift interlock problems.

As for the lights, I have reset the computer, checked the charging system and its ok, Now that I have done that, the ABS light comes on immediately, then the traction control light after a few minutes, and then the airbag light flashes intermittently. Does it sound like sensors or what?

Check the battery and see how many CCA's it has compared to new. Individuals have reported the airbag light flashing when the battery is going bad so that is why I am saying to check it. I would also pull the codes and see what they are and that might help pinpoint the problem.

Check the battery and see how many CCA's it has compared to new. Individuals have reported the airbag light flashing when the battery is going bad so that is why I am saying to check it. I would also pull the codes and see what they are and that might help pinpoint the problem.

I'll go to autozone here in a few and get the codes and I'll post them.

I'll go to autozone here in a few and get the codes and I'll post them.

They didn't give me the codes, but they said it was the speed wheel sensor, but couldn't catch the airbag sensor codes. They said it was probably unhooked or damaged. How can I get to them? Its either the front left or right side, because those are the only bearings that were replaced by them. Can I do this myself or will I have to have someone to do it?

I would call AAMCO and ask them if they can reconnect the wheel speed sensors on the vehicle since they stopped working after they ... wait a sec. you already tried that and they played dumb.:( Ok, the wheel speed sensors are connected by a cable that looks a lot like a small black brake line but has a black press connector on the top of the upper control arm, odds are that they didn't connect one back and you are getting no signal at all from that side which is why you don't have the RSC/ABS system kicking in and out from an erratic signal. I would trace both of the speed sensors starting at the bottom backside of the hub all the way up to make sure that they are not damaged in any way and connected properly.

How many CCA's on the battery when Autozone tested it?

I would call AAMCO and ask them if they can reconnect the wheel speed sensors on the vehicle since they stopped working after they ... wait a sec. you already tried that and they played dumb.:( Ok, the wheel speed sensors are connected by a cable that looks a lot like a small black brake line but has a black press connector on the top of the upper control arm, odds are that they didn't connect one back and you are getting no signal at all from that side which is why you don't have the RSC/ABS system kicking in and out from an erratic signal. I would trace both of the speed sensors starting at the bottom backside of the hub all the way up to make sure that they are not damaged in any way and connected properly.

How many CCA's on the battery when Autozone tested it?

I can't take it back to that AAMCO anyways. We just moved from the east coast, to the near west coast for my wife and myself to start graduate school. But there are a looooot of AAMCOs out here. I'll post what I find here later.

I can't take it back to that AAMCO anyways. We just moved from the east coast, to the near west coast for my wife and myself to start graduate school. But there are a looooot of AAMCOs out here. I'll post what I find here later.

Well good news is that the shift interlock module part came in today and fixed the problem. However, when I looked at the abs sensor, it looked fine and connected and not damaged that I could tell. I'm really not sure if that is something I can do myself. What do you guys think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You really need to know specifically what those lights are pointing to in order to know where to focus your attention. I would try contacting a different AAMCO and explaining the situation and seeing if they can do something to help you out with this problem since it didn't exist until they did the work on the vehicle.

Back