More Engine Noise... | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

More Engine Noise...

Me too

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford is taking the truck back AGAIN on Monday. They are giving me a loaner car while they try to fix whatever problem is occurring for the third time.

I decided to take videos, documenting the issue. They can be seen in the links below if you are interested.

That second video sounds pretty rough!

Hard to say from a video, but it doesn't sound like chains to me.

It could be a lifter. The videos don't really do a justice. After spending $4,600 they should fix and they said they'll make it right.

Here are some videos from today. Make sure to check out the rev video...

Most of what I hear sounds just like mine. When you rev it, it sounds like a 'lifter.'

I thought these engines didn't have lifters?

I thought these engines didn't have lifters?

They don't, they have lash adjusters, that's why I put it in quotes. Most don't know what a lash adjuster would refer too. More like a rocker than a lifter I suppose.

Actually, I've not seen the cams on the 3rd gen 4.0, just that of the 4.6. I may have grossly assumed the similarity.

Edit: they do have lifters, though they are called hydraulic lash adjusters.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 228

We'll have to see what ford says Monday

I'm assuming this is a big job?

New noise today...

Just dropped off truck again at Ford. 3rd times a charm?

Wow, this must be incredibly frustrating to you!

After reading this, if/when my 2004 starts making engine noises, I may just drive it till it stops, and then get a reman.

Hope this all gets resolved for you soon.

Thanks. I should be hearing back from them today...

I talked to Ford today, and the mechanic couldn't figure out the problem(s). The engineer is looking at it tomorrow.

Just heard back. When they did the timing chain replacement, they didn't tourqe the tensionors correctly. They retourqed the bolts and they said it's better. Also I was refunded $300.

Car still isn't right. I am now dealing with the co-owner/VP of All American Ford. He vowed to fix the situation.

New video...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Finally found time to meet with the delaer co-owner tomorrow. He wants to have a meeting with the mechanic, the service manager, and myself. We'll see how that goes.

I'll also be getting a free loaner truck while they are fixing the Explorer again...

Back