• Register Today It's free!

Most common front end problems?

O2Thief

Reaction score
City, State
BTR, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT V8 AWD
I suppose I was too specific in my last post as to not receive any responses regarding my 97 X 5.0 AWD.

Problem:

I've had a clunking noise from the front end for approximately 6 weeks. I've done a search on the board and found some people have issues with the inner tie-rod rubbing. I suppose I will try the WD40 trick. I did tighten up the loose upper control arm bolt which alleviated one of the multifactorial problems. Currently, when I accel up to ~25mph, I'll get a repetitive clunking noise. It feels like it's located on the driverside. This only does it in a straight line too and appears load dependent. My possible thoughts on the noise come down to the following: another loosened control arm, inner-half shaft wear, front driveshaft binding, loose front differential, motor mount. Does know of the common items replaced on the front end of the 95+ explorer's, in particular AWD or 4WD. Thanks in advance for any direction/guidance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does the noise lessen at all when braking?

If the upper control arm was loose, it's possible it trashed the upper balljoint. In which case, you should check the lower balljoint also.

There isn't any noise on braking or deceleration. I did check the ball joints and both appear to have no play. I'm going to pull the wheel off tomorrow and recheck them more closely.

common frontend problems?? well, the sealed wheel bearings, the upper ball joints (in which the whole control arm has to be replaced), the lower ball joints, and the tie rods. EVERYTHING is a problem with the frontend on X's b/c you can't grease ANYTHING

After ruling out some of the other items, such as CV shaft, tie rod end (excluding the turning issue), ball joints and control arm bolts, I think the problem is coming from the front driveshaft. That being the case, wouldn't bad U-joints cause this to occur?

Could anyone with an AWD X see if there is play in their front driveshaft? This might sound stupid, but do you notice a difference in driveshaft play between when the vehicle is off or on, while in park? I did but I moved the car and perhaps this is why I got play on one and not the other. I'll mark U-joint and rotate to measure play/tolerance at all 4 points of the U-joint.

Back